Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Topical Melatonin?
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyYesterday at 1:10 pm by shaftless

» Probiotics
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyYesterday at 7:25 am by CF

» Vaccine Science and Myth
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 6:48 am by CausticSymmetry

» HMI-115: A Prolactin Receptor Antagonistic Antibody
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptySun May 26, 2024 10:50 am by CausticSymmetry

» oral thrush candida
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyFri May 24, 2024 1:02 pm by shaftless

» Does hair follicles taken in hair transplants donor area grow back?
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:40 pm by MikeGore

» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:38 pm by MikeGore

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptyWed May 22, 2024 4:56 am by JtheDreamer

» zombie cells
SSRI effects on mind, and body EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

SSRI effects on mind, and body

2 posters

Go down

SSRI effects on mind, and body Empty SSRI effects on mind, and body

Post  Guest Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I've been a long term user of Anti-depressant medication, Paroxentine (Paxil, Sexorat) which is a Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

SSRIs increase the extracellular level of the neurotransmitter serotonin by inhibiting its reuptake into the presynaptic cell, increasing the level of serotonin available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor. They have varying degrees of selectivity for the other monoamine transporters, with pure SSRIs having only weak affinity for the noradrenaline and dopamine transporter.

Through my own experience with these drugs, I became very lethergic, overweight, and generally slow on the draw when it comes to cognitive ability. I've been weaning myself off of them for a number of months now, and the further I come out of the withdrawal process the better I feel.

Has anybody else done any research into this, and the machanism by which it is reported to cause shed?

I'm new to this forum, and I apologize if this has been covered in a previous topic, if so let me know and I'll dig it up.

http://www.quickcare.org/skin/which-drugs-cause-hair-loss.html

Back to top Go down

SSRI effects on mind, and body Empty Re: SSRI effects on mind, and body

Post  Paradox Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:48 pm

That class of drug is nasty. Many contain fluoride which will suppress the thyroid. It's good you're getting off them. There are much better natural alternatives like l-tryptophan. I'd highly recommend the book- Depression Free Naturally, by Joan Mathews Larson Ph.D. It will help you figure out what the underlying physical cause is for the depression. Depression is a symptom of quite a few things actually.

I don't know exactly what the cause of shedding would be other than the thyroid.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoGenesis Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Like yourself, I was on a ssri for a few years from about age 17-21. I am now 23 and have been off of them for a couple years now. In my own experience, I did not really experience much hair loss at all during this time however I think it was because of the fact that I was younger then. SSRIS do cause elevated prolactin levels and also elevated levels of stress hormones such as cortisol which are potential links relating to ssri use and hair loss.

NeoGenesis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down