Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Topical Melatonin?
Insomnia and Depression EmptyToday at 6:20 am by CausticSymmetry

» HMI-115: A Prolactin Receptor Antagonistic Antibody
Insomnia and Depression EmptySun May 26, 2024 10:50 am by CausticSymmetry

» oral thrush candida
Insomnia and Depression EmptyFri May 24, 2024 1:02 pm by shaftless

» Does hair follicles taken in hair transplants donor area grow back?
Insomnia and Depression EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:40 pm by MikeGore

» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Insomnia and Depression EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:38 pm by MikeGore

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Insomnia and Depression EmptyWed May 22, 2024 4:56 am by JtheDreamer

» zombie cells
Insomnia and Depression EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Insomnia and Depression EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Insomnia and Depression EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Insomnia and Depression

5 posters

Go down

Insomnia and Depression Empty Insomnia and Depression

Post  missymoo Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:36 am

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had experience with sleep maintenance insomnia?

So far I've had two doctors tell me that the reason why I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep is because I'm depressed. They have diagnosed me with depression based solely on the fact that I wake up every single night between 1-3 am and can't get back to sleep. They want me to take anti depressants.

I had a sleep study (after a year of my doctor refusing to let me have one) and I had 23 obstructive hypopneas associated with 10 awakenings and transient arterial desaturation. Of course during the study I didn't wake up at my usual time of 2 am but I woke up at 11 pm and it coincided with an obstructive hypopnea. Since my AHI is <5 the doctors don't give a crap, even when I tell them that sometimes I wake up choking. These hypopneas happened whenever I was on my back during both REM and NREM, and all through REM when I wasn't on my back. No snoring.

From what I understand, depression causes sleep maintenance insomnia by increasing REM, and anti-depressants suppress REM. I did have a high REM portion on my sleep study, but lack of sleep can also cause increased REM sleep. Also, when I take doxylamine succinate, which is anticholinergic and therefore suppresses REM, I still wake up at the same time.

So my two questions are:
1 - can you have depression even without feeling depressed, just because you have insomnia? If I do feel depressed I feel that it is caused by the insomnia, not the other way around.
2 - does anyone think that mild sleep disordered breathing can cause chronic sleep maintenance insomnia? Or is an AHI index <5 common in the general population, including people without insomnia?

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Insomnia and Depression Empty Re: Insomnia and Depression

Post  Zaphod Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 pm

missymoo wrote:I was wondering if anyone on this forum had experience with sleep maintenance insomnia?

So far I've had two doctors tell me that the reason why I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep is because I'm depressed. They have diagnosed me with depression based solely on the fact that I wake up every single night between 1-3 am and can't get back to sleep. They want me to take anti depressants.

I had a sleep study (after a year of my doctor refusing to let me have one) and I had 23 obstructive hypopneas associated with 10 awakenings and transient arterial desaturation. Of course during the study I didn't wake up at my usual time of 2 am but I woke up at 11 pm and it coincided with an obstructive hypopnea. Since my AHI is <5 the doctors don't give a crap, even when I tell them that sometimes I wake up choking. These hypopneas happened whenever I was on my back during both REM and NREM, and all through REM when I wasn't on my back. No snoring.

From what I understand, depression causes sleep maintenance insomnia by increasing REM, and anti-depressants suppress REM. I did have a high REM portion on my sleep study, but lack of sleep can also cause increased REM sleep. Also, when I take doxylamine succinate, which is anticholinergic and therefore suppresses REM, I still wake up at the same time.

So my two questions are:
1 - can you have depression even without feeling depressed, just because you have insomnia? If I do feel depressed I feel that it is caused by the insomnia, not the other way around.
2 - does anyone think that mild sleep disordered breathing can cause chronic sleep maintenance insomnia? Or is an AHI index <5 common in the general population, including people without insomnia?

I dont have personal experiences with any of sleep disturbances, but promote nutrition that can have impact on quality of sleep. It's hard to say, what's the reason for waking up so early, but i would check some of those:

- allergens (mold, environmental toxins) in the room can distrurb sleep patterns with increased cortisol, when should be lowest.

- no EMF, no light, even closed fuses might help to promote attempts of your body to find circadian rythms triggered by light and changed electromagnetic status of athmosphere.

- serotonin to melatonin conversion, and promotion of pineal gland activity.

Nurtients as zinc, magnesium, b1, b5, and b6 are needed for having adequate conversion rate from 5-HTP to the melatonin, the desired antioxidant and sleep promoter.

Would try also niacinamide and nutrition that is worth to reverse calcification - K2, iodine, ...

-Temperature status of the body during sleeping. If experiencing night sweats or cooling the body, this should tell you something.

- I believe nobody should go in the bed hungry, or opposite - with full stomach with heavy foods to diggest. Would say, fat soluble vitamins are important too, as it will help you being protected during longer period of time and will assist in repair.

-From the depression stand point, i'd focus also on methylation with MTHFR supplementation, activated B12 and b6. And curcumin, plenty of it.

There is probably tons of different ways to look at it...

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBison Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:43 am

What's your sleep position?

MikeBison

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:45 am

Will insomnia and depression cause hair loss ?

sorry, I had to.

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  hiilikeyourbeard Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:36 pm

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:Will insomnia and depression cause hair loss ?

sorry, I had to.

fuckin riot, this one.
hiilikeyourbeard
hiilikeyourbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Beebrox wrote:
missymoo wrote:I was wondering if anyone on this forum had experience with sleep maintenance insomnia?

So my two questions are:

I dont have personal experiences with any of sleep disturbances, but promote nutrition that can have impact on quality of sleep. It's hard to say, what's the reason for waking up so early, but i would check some of those:

- allergens (mold, environmental toxins) in the room can distrurb sleep patterns with increased cortisol, when should be lowest.

- no EMF, no light, even closed fuses might help to promote attempts of your body to find circadian rythms triggered by light and changed electromagnetic status of athmosphere.

- serotonin to melatonin conversion, and promotion of pineal gland activity.

Nurtients as zinc, magnesium, b1, b5, and b6 are needed for having adequate conversion rate from 5-HTP to the melatonin, the desired antioxidant and sleep promoter.

Would try also niacinamide and nutrition that is worth to reverse calcification - K2, iodine, ...

-Temperature status of the body during sleeping. If experiencing night sweats or cooling the body, this should tell you something.

- I believe nobody should go in the bed hungry, or opposite - with full stomach with heavy foods to diggest. Would say, fat soluble vitamins are important too, as it will help you being protected during longer period of time and will assist in repair.

-From the depression stand point, i'd focus also on methylation with MTHFR supplementation, activated B12 and b6. And curcumin, plenty of it.

There is probably tons of different ways to look at it...

Hi Beebrox, thanks for the reply

I don't think I have a problem with melatonin conversion, I fall asleep very easily most nights, but there is definitely a cortisol issue when I wake up in the middle of the night. Not sure what's causing that, and it doesn't seem to be helped by supplements that lower cortisol. My endo wants me to do a dexamethasone supression test, said something about depression causing cortisol to not be suppressed by dexamethasone.

I did a saliva cortisol test a couple of years ago and at 6am my cortisol was very low, and it was normal throughout the day. My guess is it gets too high at 3am, gets used up by 6am, and starts to build up again during the day.

I don't think I am depressed but the insomnia is really getting me there.

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:49 pm

MikeBison wrote:What's your sleep position?

I always fall asleep on my side but a lot of the time I wake up on my back

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBison Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 am

missymoo wrote:
MikeBison wrote:What's your sleep position?

I always fall asleep on my side but a lot of the time I wake up on my back
I ask because sometimes I get hypnic jerks, like I stop breathing for a second, when trying to sleep on my side but I never get them when lying on my back.

MikeBison

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 am

Yeah, I get those too but I think mine are from too much glutamate

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaphod Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 am

missymoo wrote:Yeah, I get those too but I think mine are from too much glutamate

you need b6 to transform glutamate...

Zaphod

Back to top Go down

Post  missymoo Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Beebrox wrote:
missymoo wrote:Yeah, I get those too but I think mine are from too much glutamate

you need b6 to transform glutamate...

I take b6 for pyroluria but it doesn't really stop my twitches. I think my glutamate issues are from mercury.

missymoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down