Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss!

+5
sanderson
AS54
whodathunkit
iuyyighghghgkh
sizzlinghairs
9 posters

Go down

Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! Empty Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss!

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 am

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=256511

" Baldness occurred in persons in whom calcification of the skull bones apparently had not only firmly knitted the cranial sutures but also closed or narrowed various small foramens through which blood vessels pass, most prominently in persons with a luxuriant crop of hair. These blood vessels are mainly veins which normally communicate with the diploic veins in the spongy tissue of the skull bones but which"

But isnt it that once a dormant follicle is reignited it starts to expand vessels from the follicle itself outward into the surround tissue and then most likely into the bone? Kind of like how a baby tree expands its roots deep into the ground?

Anyways, I hope this doesn't mean we can never regrow full heads of healthy hair... That would be very no bueno!

Last edited by sizzlinghairs on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! Empty Re: Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss!

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am

this is fibrosis

and yes you can grow back hair.

minoxifil and rogaine have proven this, even if you don't like using artificial drugs with side effects.

take your negative attitude somewhere else

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss! Empty Re: Does this study mean we can never grow a healthy head of hair? Ack, please discuss!

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 am

I want to think other wise and I just want to have someone help me do so.

The thing that gets me down is he talks about the "skull" itself and I'm trying to understand how we are getting down that far..

Not trying to be a downer, rather just want to have someone help me get positive, as this study depressed me a bit..

*edit: just wanted to add, a lot of treatments like minox/fin tend to grow wispy terminal hair, no where near the health one is usually looking for.. Could it be because of this factor? Who knows ..

Last edited by sizzlinghairs on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  whodathunkit Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 am

There have been a couple of anecdotes in the last couple of weeks on another forum I go to (not a hair forum) that people have re-grown their hair with the right combo of supplements, after 10-20 years of loss. These are not young people, either. Solid middle age. One was a man that says he's coming back from cueball to fuzz plus some terminal, slowly, and another is a woman with loss at her crown. Their anecdotes give me hope.

But every case is different. I suspect you can't regrow unless you find the right combination of methods for you.

And probably if calcification is too far along, then it would be incredibly difficult if not outright impossible to regrow hair. But for most guys here I would say no, not impossible. Just hard work.

whodathunkit

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm

First of all, we should get a bit of perspective of scope. This was not only the observation of one man, but it was also taken from observation of only 80 cadavers. This is far from being able to make significant claims about the etiology for a process as diffuse in a population as MPB. BUT, it does offer some interesting points, and at the same time, the small scope does not negate the possibility that he was observing something common to the MPB process.

To me, it highlights the fact that we are dealing with more than just the physiological state of the hair organ. We are dealing with the health of that organ as an effect of a greater environmental change in the entire physiology, from superficial to deep, in the scalp. That means the fibrotic changes and ossification are a central part of the problem. Reversal of bone ossification is a complex process, and then we'd still have to gauge whether we'd experience angiogenesis if the bone density was reduced in that region. These are biological processes occurring over long periods of time and we've got to consider that if we are trying to reverse them by the natural mechanisms they were laid down with, time is a huge issue. Resources are a huge issue. These processes are beginning at a massive growth phase in our life cycle. Can we expect to be able to take these processes and just flip the switch in reverse given the metabolic and hormonal requirements?

I think it becomes very possible to imagine that we could only achieve this with some type of "unnatural" intervention. I'm referring to a situation where the process has been occurring for a long period of time. If the mechanisms were identified concretely, we could expect to be able to prevent baldness completely before its set in.

Just some thoughts. This whole thing makes the sex hormone aspect very interesting. We know that both testosterone and estrogen play roles in bone density, but trying to hammer out the picture of how each one is contributing to this calcification in MPB is confusing. Estrogen receptor alpha, and estradiol (via aromatization of testosterone) both increase bone density. Its been thrown around here a bit before that too much ER-alpha signalling might be involved in MPB. This would implicate why having a higher level of free testosterone is a common factor in MPB, but that total testosterone isn't really the relevant figure. This would connect the body hair changes we see often as well. So again, how the ER-beta is functioning is something we should be looking at.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

what is the precursors to fibrosis happening?
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm

sizzlinghairs wrote:
Anyways, I hope this doesn't mean we can never regrow full heads of healthy hair... That would be very no bueno!

There are many people on hair loss forums that have done it with fda treatments, so yes it can be done.  I'm not suggesting resorting to those drugs but it is possible to grow hair back despite what the study says

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 pm

AS54 wrote:First of all, we should get a bit of perspective of scope. This was not only the observation of one man, but it was also taken from observation of only 80 cadavers. This is far from being able to make significant claims about the etiology for a process as diffuse in a population as MPB. BUT, it does offer some interesting points, and at the same time, the small scope does not negate the possibility that he was observing something common to the MPB process.

To me, it highlights the fact that we are dealing with more than just the physiological state of the hair organ. We are dealing with the health of that organ as an effect of a greater environmental change in the entire physiology, from superficial to deep, in the scalp. That means the fibrotic changes and ossification are a central part of the problem. Reversal of bone ossification is a complex process, and then we'd still have to gauge whether we'd experience angiogenesis if the bone density was reduced in that region. These are biological processes occurring over long periods of time and we've got to consider that if we are trying to reverse them by the natural mechanisms they were laid down with, time is a huge issue. Resources are a huge issue. These processes are beginning at a massive growth phase in our life cycle. Can we expect to be able to take these processes and just flip the switch in reverse given the metabolic and hormonal requirements?

I think it becomes very possible to imagine that we could only achieve this with some type of "unnatural" intervention. I'm referring to a situation where the process has been occurring for a long period of time. If the mechanisms were identified concretely, we could expect to be able to prevent baldness completely before its set in.

Just some thoughts. This whole thing makes the sex hormone aspect very interesting. We know that both testosterone and estrogen play roles in bone density, but trying to hammer out the picture of how each one is contributing to this calcification in MPB is confusing. Estrogen receptor alpha, and estradiol (via aromatization of testosterone) both increase bone density. Its been thrown around here a bit before that too much ER-alpha signalling might be involved in MPB. This would implicate why having a higher level of free testosterone is a common factor in MPB, but that total testosterone isn't really the relevant figure. This would connect the body hair changes we see often as well. So again, how the ER-beta is functioning is something we should be looking at.

AS54, do you think its possible that it could be happening in the way I mentioned, in terms of reversal? Say someone has had long standing baldness, 20+ years, they decide to try DT or brushing or another treatment. Growth signals are triggered and the papilla cells multiply. Then it is a slow process for the full and healthy vessels to dig their way through the calcification, like roots of a tree, slowly establishing a proper network? Otherwise, how else could people regrow hair after so many years?

And to Seeker: Have there been documented cases of people regrowing from NW 5-6s with conventional treatments fin/minox? I think that is what the scientist in this situation is referring to with "baldness".

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 am

Sizzling,

Possible? Most definitely. Probable? Well, I'm not educated enough to say.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Odysseus Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

AS54 wrote:Sizzling,

Possible? Most definitely. Probable? Well, I'm not educated enough to say.

iol. That's a nice way of putting it.

Odysseus

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

Is hair growth/regeneration possible?

Of course it is.

I haven't spent one minute doing any manuals (except for 15 seconds of hair brushing).

It's about detoxification and introducing minerals/nutrients most of us are not getting.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Complexx Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

sizzlinghairs wrote:
AS54 wrote:First of all, we should get a bit of perspective of scope. This was not only the observation of one man, but it was also taken from observation of only 80 cadavers. This is far from being able to make significant claims about the etiology for a process as diffuse in a population as MPB. BUT, it does offer some interesting points, and at the same time, the small scope does not negate the possibility that he was observing something common to the MPB process.

AS54, do you think its possible that it could be happening in the way I mentioned, in terms of reversal? Say someone has had long standing baldness, 20+ years, they decide to try DT or brushing or another treatment. Growth signals are triggered and the papilla cells multiply. Then it is a slow process for the full and healthy vessels to dig their way through the calcification, like roots of a tree, slowly establishing a proper network? Otherwise, how else could people regrow hair after so many years?

And to Seeker: Have there been documented cases of people regrowing from NW 5-6s with conventional treatments fin/minox? I think that is what the scientist in this situation is referring to with "baldness".

Great post man
Complexx
Complexx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down