Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyToday at 11:16 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
gelatin good for hair loss? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

gelatin good for hair loss?

+9
Hairbeback
MikeBison
bov51
iuyyighghghgkh
AS54
ppm
turbojet
sanderson
shaftless
13 posters

Go down

gelatin good for hair loss? Empty gelatin good for hair loss?

Post  shaftless Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 am

I was researching the nutritional value of gelatin. It's found in a lot of confectionary like marshmellows and jujubes and gummy bears. But surprisingly enuff, it is has a high profile of different proteins, especially glycine. It comes from different animal sources like pigs and cows and wikipedia says that eating gelatin can be good for hair loss for both men and women. If wiki says that then it MUST be true. Maybe glycine is good for hair? Thing is, I really don't like the taste of a lot of those gelatin candies. Maybe just eating head cheese will help? God I love head cheese but it's pretty salty. Or how about liquifying the gelatin and rubbing it into our scalps?

shaftless

Back to top Go down

gelatin good for hair loss? Empty Re: gelatin good for hair loss?

Post  sanderson Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 am

i did a lot of research into gelatin, but i took it because it was a potent gut healer. if you are going to purchase gelatin, get this

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Unflavored-Gelatin-16-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1381422124&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=gelatin+greak+lakes
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:43 am

I've been supplementing with Great Lakes gelatin for about two years and think its great for anti-aging in regard to potential collagen building and joint support. Ray Peat/Danny Roddy and Dr. Campbell-McBride (GAPS Diet) have covered the benefits extensively.

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  ppm Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 am

shaftless wrote:Or how about liquifying the gelatin and rubbing it into our scalps?
There exists liquid collagen for this purpose.
But it is not necessary to supplement gelatin, to stimulate collagen and hair thickening it is sufficient to supplement the following collagenic amino acids: glycine, l-lysine and l-proline.

ppm

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 pm

When you start getting to that high of molecular weight, you aren't going to get absorption topically unfortunately.

I'd agree with ppm on this one. Physiologically you are rarely going to consume a protein and absorb and assimilate that protein intact, rather you break it down into the constituent amino acids in the stomach/intestine, absorb them, and let the cellular machinery build up proteins according to your genetic makeup. So about the best you are going to do is to get the amino acids anyway. That said I do think gelatin is a good source of some of those aminos and being what it is, it is a fairly safe and digestible food. For that reason I think its great for the gut and repairing the barrier. We tend to absorb macronutrients better in the matrix of a whole food rather than when they are isolated so I think its optimal to get those aminos from a food where possible.

That said, collagen breakdown isn't usually a problem in MPB, rather the opposite. Growth factors like TGF-b actually encourage more collagen deposition that you want and crosslinks lead to scar tissue formation and eventually that sheen you see on a mature bald scalp.

Of course maintaining collagen in the superficial tissue of the face is a priority for most, and light wounding can help support collagen formation. Things like dermarolling or short low intensity electrical impulses can do this.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 pm

I am sure that
vitamin c
lysine/ proline
glycine

would mimic gelatine,

Someone correct me if I am wrong

plus you get the 5ar inhibiting effect of lysine.

lysine also doubles the effects of propecia,
so there is a very interesting link between gelatine, atherosclerosis, and hair loss.

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:58 pm

AS54 wrote:When you start getting to that high of molecular weight, you aren't going to get absorption topically unfortunately.

I'd agree with ppm on this one. Physiologically you are rarely going to consume a protein and absorb and assimilate that protein intact, rather you break it down into the constituent amino acids in the stomach/intestine, absorb them, and let the cellular machinery build up proteins according to your genetic makeup. So about the best you are going to do is to get the amino acids anyway. That said I do think gelatin is a good source of some of those aminos and being what it is, it is a fairly safe and digestible food. For that reason I think its great for the gut and repairing the barrier. We tend to absorb macronutrients better in the matrix of a whole food rather than when they are isolated so I think its optimal to get those aminos from a food where possible.

That said, collagen breakdown isn't usually a problem in MPB, rather the opposite. Growth factors like TGF-b actually encourage more collagen deposition that you want and crosslinks lead to scar tissue formation and eventually that sheen you see on a mature bald scalp.

Of course maintaining collagen in the superficial tissue of the face is a priority for most, and light wounding can help support collagen formation. Things like dermarolling or short low intensity electrical impulses can do this.

are you saying collagen is dumped in the scalp, the same way it is when you have a leg injury for example ?

This may be true. but the problem would be the inflammation/injury in the scalp. not collagen

this a good article

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

many of the things mentioned, also do correlate to hair loss supplements, notably taurine

however - linus pauling who took massive amounts of the amino acids found in gelatine, was totally bald.

so who knows

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  bov51 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

I get about 30-40 grams a day.

bov51

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBison Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:04 pm

boogv510 wrote:I get about 30-40 grams a day.
Do you feel any improvement hair wise or health wise?

MikeBison

Back to top Go down

Post  Hairbeback Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:14 am

Thinking about making a bone broth soup this week

Hairbeback

Back to top Go down

Post  bov51 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:17 am

MikeBison wrote:
boogv510 wrote:I get about 30-40 grams a day.
Do you feel any improvement hair wise or health wise?

Its hard to say, I do feel better but I don't think its because of the gelatin. I made a huge change in my diet.

bov51

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:37 am

gelatine amino acid composition

glycine 21%,
proline 12%,
hydroxyproline 12%,
glutamic acid 10%,
alanine 9%,
arginine 8%,
aspartic acid 6%,
lysine 4%,

many of those are mentioned on hair loss forums and good hair loss supplements.
Also, it's a ray peat staple .

I think it's a hair loss essential, or at least, take the individual amino acids.

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:51 pm

one final thought :

if the mythical hair loss term "fibrosis" is a scarring and damaging of the scalp, which blocks proper hair from forming

then the solution would be collagen building nutrients and foods

I have never for a second believed calcium deposits block hair from forming, even though I take k2, magnesium and msm which stop the calcification

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  Organism Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:14 pm

iuyyighghghgkh wrote:one final thought :

if the mythical hair loss term "fibrosis" is a scarring and damaging of the scalp, which blocks proper hair from forming

then the solution would be collagen building nutrients and foods

I have never for a second believed calcium deposits block hair from forming, even though I take k2, magnesium and msm which stop the calcification

Might be worthwhile to look into glucosamine sulfate

Organism

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 am

AS54 wrote:When you start getting to that high of molecular weight, you aren't going to get absorption topically unfortunately.

"fibrosis, battling the over production of collagen" - taurine can prevent this

TGF-beta is also blocked by taurine.

however you need to take about 5 grams a day. don't bother with capsules

http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateHairMassMan11-10.html

gelatine -- may actually have the potential to be bad for hair loss, if collagen overproduction is a problem for people

someone connected TGF-beta and collagen, which is bad

Linus Pauling, who was bald, took massive amounts of lysine, proline and vitamin c, up to 18 grams a day

Although it clears the arteries, I wonder if the excess collagen damaged his hair ?
Maybe he should have added in taurine for balance, which helps stop excess collagen

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:12 am

the case against lysine :

1) many forums users on other forums says it thinned their hair
2) pauling who took 10 grams a day, bald as a bat
3) will cause an amino imbalance, especially of arginine

consider it

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  turbojet Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:56 am

I've always had a hard time putting on weight but I notice that after a few weeks of taking between 1-2tbsp of great lakes gelatin I put on 5-10lbs each time. As soon as I stop the weight drops back off. Most people claim gelatin aids weight loss. Any ideas what's going? No other negative sides other than the odd weight gain.

turbojet

Back to top Go down

Post  bov51 Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:01 am

I take about 3-5 tbsp of great lake gelatin a day, its dam expensive!

bov51

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 pm

I took it previously and was very enthused.  But now I am wondering about the fluoride content of gelatin.  It is from bones,
and fluoride collects primarily in bones.  I brought this up at Chris Kresser's site and haven't gotten an answer so far.

Well, seek and find, this thread seems to have answers:

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1232228

any fluoride that might be present in gelatin is in the 'calcium fluoride' form. in other words its bound to calcium, this is due to gelatin being made from bone and bone has very high calcium levels obviously.

calcium fluoride is no more dangerous than table salt. if you dont believe me look at this post.

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1100227#i

GrzBear had posted about the possibility that calcium neutralizes fluoride. I did some research and discovered he may be right. For those who dont know what the LD50 rating is, LD stands for "Lethal Dose". LD50 is the amount of a material, given all at once, which causes the death of 50% (one half) of a group of test animals. The LD50 is one way to measure the short-term poisoning potential (acute toxicity) of a material.

the LD50 rating of elemental fluoride is 52 mg/kg, which is very low. In other words its a very toxic substance.

HOwever! the LD50 rating for Calcium-Fluoride is 4,250 mg/kg! That is about the same rating that table salt gets. In other words while pure fluoride is highly toxic, calcium fluoride is about as toxic as table salt.

This is truly amazing. It would seem the calcium nearly totally neutralizes the fluoride.

Last edited by Delphine on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 pm

I still think the amino glycine - also taurine - is the best bang for your buck and highly bioavailable. You are going to keep your gallbladder running strong and able to efficiently process fat soluble substances. Plus it will assist sleep and you'll get a nice GH boost on an empty stomach... in absence of lipids.

Great Lakes sources their collagen from Argentinian (also Brazilian?) cattle hides, btw. It's sort of a rip when you consider the relative cheapness and availability of bones. Use this pressure cooker and you are all set. Couldn't live without this stuff, great for hair and nail quality, sleep, anxiety, gut health, food satiation, energy etc. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ?&th=1

Kresser's core science is way more sound and reasonable than Peat's anyhow, even though they share some concepts in common.

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 am

That's a nice pot, added to my Amazon cart for the next time I place an order.

Gelatin makes a great hair mask, think I'll use it today.  Can really tell the difference with this. I usually leave it on
a lot longer than five min.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
½ cup water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
Instructions
Stir the powdered gelatin into the water until it dissolves. Add the vinegar and honey, and stir again. Let sit until it forms a thick paste.
Slather on wet hair in the shower, let sit for at least five minutes, and then rinse and shampoo and condition as usual.
For an extra hit of protein, apply the gel to wet hair and then blow dry on a low setting.
The hair will feel hard and crunchy, but the gelatin will rehydrate and rinse out once it gets wet again.
t is suggested to do this up to a few times a week to get desired hair thickness/strength and then once a week for maintenance.

Read more: http://homegrownandhealthy.com/gelatin-hair-mask/#ixzz3FxxQAw1JI
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:05 am

I've been having bone broth every morning for the last few weeks, my skin is ridiculously soft at the moment.

Any good natural sources of taurine or is pills the only real option there?
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down