Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report.

+2
sanderson
CausticSymmetry
6 posters

Go down

Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. Empty Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report.

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 am

Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013 Jun 13. doi: 10.1111/acer.12177. [Epub ahead of print]
Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report.
Irwig MS.

Center for Andrology and Division of Endocrinology, Medical Faculty Associates, The George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia.

BACKGROUND:
There is a robust literature in rodents, but not in humans, on the interaction between finasteride and alcohol, particularly as it relates to neurosteroids. Finasteride has been shown to reduce alcohol intake and suppress alcohol preference in male mice. This study examines the role of finasteride in alcohol consumption in humans with male pattern hair loss.
METHODS:
The subjects were 83 otherwise healthy men who developed persistent sexual side effects associated with finasteride, despite the cessation of this medication for at least 3 months. Information from standardized interviews was collected regarding medical histories, sexual function, and alcohol consumption before and after finasteride use.
RESULTS:
Of the 63 men who consumed at least 1 alcoholic beverage/wk prior to starting finasteride, 41 (65%) noted a decrease in their alcohol consumption after stopping finasteride. This reduction typically began before discontinuing finasteride. Twenty men (32%) reported no change in their alcohol consumption, and 2 men (3%) reported an increase in their alcohol consumption. For the 63 consumers of alcohol, the mean number (±SE) of alcoholic beverages/wk declined from 5.2 ± 0.7 before finasteride to 2.0 ± 0.3 after finasteride (p < 0.0001). A major study limitation is the lack of a comparison group.
CONCLUSIONS:
In former male users of finasteride who developed persistent sexual side effects, 65% noticed a decline in their alcohol consumption as compared to baseline. This finding is consistent with finasteride's ability to modulate alcohol intake in rodents. Further research is needed on the central nervous system effects of finasteride in humans.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. Empty Re: Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report.

Post  sanderson Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

interesting. i def. had these fin side effects and i don't drink alcohol anymore, AT ALL. i find that alcohol gives me negative side effects, make me feel the opposite of other people. makes me feel introverted and start feeling panicky. i always thought it was because i was becoming more mature or something. could be related.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report. Empty Re: Decreased Alcohol Consumption Among Former Male Users of Finasteride with Persistent Sexual Side Effects: A Preliminary Report.

Post  RKERR9 Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24 am

This fits me like a glove after propecia, Alcohol just makes me feel odd (i'm not too bad on it) - but the hangovers are absolutely awful now, mental confusion, intense anxiety etc, I feel like I cant detoxify as well anymore, possibly due to impaired liver function. The desire to drink is gone too, and I do miss this to be honest, it must be related to neurosteroids and I wish I knew how to get this back on track...

CS do you have any thoughts about resetting neurosteroids after propecia use? I was thinking vitamin D, pregnenolone could be an option but I have no idea about effective dosing.

I have also quit drinking as I need to get my health at 100%. Its much better because of this forum.

RKERR9

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:49 am

hm, despite having lingering Fin sides I still have great nights with alcohol. I don't drink much but that's due to better care of my health and lack of money.

Nights out I have had have been where it counts fantastic and the alcohol experience was the same as ever o.O

I did get annoyed the last night out I had and there was some arguing, but that was a weird night in general I don't think it had anything to do with Fin.
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TrueGround Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 am

An interesting study because it relates to Finasteride, however I hardly see the point in conducting a study around this when more attention should be devoted to the serious negative effects that can arise.

One could see this study as a positive, aside from the fact that all the members had persistent side effects (although that was by design).

TrueGround

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 am

This study is not positive....

It basically means that alcohol ingestion challenges the liver more so.

There have been reported cases of finasteride induce liver toxicity...Not to say that it will
cause any problems...however...there is still much to learn about it.

What is known is that it interferes with important brain neurosteroids, which protect
against neurodegenerative diseases.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:This study is not positive....

It basically means that alcohol ingestion challenges the liver more so.

There have been reported cases of finasteride induce liver toxicity...Not to say that it will
cause any problems...however...there is still much to learn about it.

What is known is that it interferes with important brain neurosteroids, which protect
against neurodegenerative diseases.

i'm getting fairly certain at this point that finasteride completely screwed up my glutathione production. makes sense since it detoxifies the liver...
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:16 am

Been off fin for 2+ years and I don't tolerate alcohol well at all and rarely drink. My DHT is definitely back though as I have quite a bit of facial hair now and my male parts function quite well so perhaps it is unrelated.

Either way I think it takes a long time for the body to recover from fin usage.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 am

baller234 wrote:Been off fin for 2+ years and I don't tolerate alcohol well at all and rarely drink.  My DHT is definitely back though as I have quite a bit of facial hair now and my male parts function quite well so perhaps it is unrelated.

Either way I think it takes a long time for the body to recover from fin usage.

Anything you did that helped bring you a turning point? I'm still not able to get my system online. I'm actually pretty shocked I still haven't bounced back yet. I have been eating so healthy for almost 2 years now. Had a few points where I cheated for maybe a month or two.. but mostly been sticking to it. I've been almost religious to a clean diet for the past 4 months. I'm getting close though..
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm not really sure. I cut back drastically on the amount of pills/supplements I was taking and just let my body sort itself out which it seems to be doing.

I've been using transdermal zinc sulphate with magnesium chloride, a small amount of nascent iodine, some selenium from brewers yeast, vitamin c, and decalcify a couple times a week. That's about the extent of my supplementation. Physical labor outside in the sun when I can. I can almost grow a full beard in two weeks now...on fin....forget it lol.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  RKERR9 Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 pm

I can vouch for this too, I cut back on the amount of supplements I take and focused more on heavy compound excercises at the gym (I really push myself hard) and major stress reduction. Vitamin C has been huge for me (4 grams a day), along with regular detoxes with juicing and probiotics / coconut oil. I've made some big steps forward recently and every morning I wake up with a slimy white coating on my tongue, I am sure this means I am detoxing quickly. It sounds kooky but watching a lot of Bruce Lipton videos about epigenetics has meant that I have a lot of faith in my body to sort the post propecia effects out, I think we have an amazing ability to fix ourselves and constantly looking at the problems as opposed to focussing on the positives keeps you in a trap IMO.

RKERR9

Back to top Go down