Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story.

5 posters

Go down

5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. Empty 5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story.

Post  CausticSymmetry Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Endocr Pract. 2012 Jul 11:1-38. [Epub ahead of print]
5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story.
Traish AM.

Department of Urology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Objective: 5α-reductases are a family of isozymes expressed in a wide host of tissues including the central nervous system and play a pivotal role in male sexual differentiation, development and physiology.Methods: A comprehensive literature search from 1970-2011 was made via PubMed and the relevant information was summarized.Results: 5α reductases convert testosterone, progesterone, deoxycorticosterone, aldosterone and corticosterone into their respective 5α -dihydro-derivatives, which serve as substrates for 3α - hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3α-HSD) enzymes. The latter transforms these 5α-reduced metabolites into a subclass of neuro-active steroid hormones with distinct physiological function. The neuro-active steroid hormones modulate multitude of functions in human physiology encompassing regulation of sexual differentiation, neuro-protection, memory enhancement, anxiety, sleep and stress, among others. In addition, 5α -reductase type 3 is also implicated in the N-glycosylation of proteins via formation of dolichol phosphate. The family of 5α-reductases was targeted for drug development to treat pathophysiological conditions, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and androgenetic alopecia (AGA). While the clinical use of 5α-reductases inhibitors was well established, the scope and the magnitude of the adverse side effects of such drugs especially on the central nervous systems is still unrecognized, due to lack of knowledge of the various physiological function of this family of enzymes, especially in the central nervous system.Conclusion: There is an urgent need to better understand the function of 5α-reductases and the role of neuro-active steroids in human physiology in order to minimize the potential adverse side effects of inhibitors targeting 5α-reductases to treat BPH and AGA.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. Empty Re: 5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story.

Post  TrueGround Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Amen to that!

TrueGround

Back to top Go down

5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story. Empty Re: 5α-Reductases in Human Physiology: An Unfolding Story.

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm

5a-reductase .. the neverending story, lol.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 am

Not to mention 3b-adiol.

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 am

Baller,

I'm very new to the pro-hormone world, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that epistane? My younger brother is using it as an aromatase inhibitor and loves it. Can't imagine its wonderful for the liver.

CS,

Good post. Highlights the narrow minded paradigms prevalent in the medical world. Oh this enzyme catalyzes this one reaction, well we'd better inhibit it. Who cares about all of its other physiological functions? We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm

No I don't believe so. 3b-adiol is metabolized from DHT by 3b-HSD and 17b-HSD. It's an anti carcinogenic androgen that binds to estrogen receptor beta. Really quite interesting and something that finasteride completely shuts down.

http://www.townsendletter.com/July2012/anticancer0712.html

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Haha. First of all, I stated the wrong name. The product he is using is called arimistane, not epistane. And its chemical name is different.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down