Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» zombie cells
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyYesterday at 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia

2 posters

Go down

Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia Empty Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia

Post  CF Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 pm

http://www.ijtrichology.com/article.asp?issn=0974-7753;year=2012;volume=4;issue=4;spage=236;epage=245;aulast=Fischer

Background: In the search for alternative agents to oral finasteride and topical minoxidil for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA), melatonin, a potent antioxidant and growth modulator, was identified as a promising candidate based on in vitro and in vivo studies.

Materials and Methods: One pharmacodynamic study on topical application of melatonin and four clinical pre-post studies were performed in patients with androgenetic alopecia or general hair loss and evaluated by standardised questionnaires, TrichoScan, 60-second hair count test and hair pull test. 

Results: Five clinical studies showed positive effects of a topical melatonin solution in the treatment of AGA in men and women while showing good tolerability: (1) Pharmacodynamics under once-daily topical application in the evening showed no significant influence on endogenous serum melatonin levels. (2) An observational study involving 30 men and women showed a significant reduction in the degree of severity of alopecia after 30 and 90 days ( P < 0.001) based on questionnaires completed by investigators and patients. (3) Using a digital software-supported epiluminescence technique (TrichoScan) in 35 men with AGA, after 3 and 6 months in 54.8% to 58.1% of the patients a significant increase of hair density of 29% and 41%, respectively was measured (M0: 123/cm² M3: 159/cm² M6: 173/cm²) ( P < 0,001). (4) In 60 men and women with hair loss, a significant reduction in hair loss was observed in women, while hair loss in men remained constant ( P < 0.001). (5) In a large, 3-month, multi-center study with more than 1800 volunteers at 200 centers, the percentage of patients with a 2- to 3-fold positive hair-pull test decreased from 61.6% to 7.8%, while the percentage of patients with a negative hair-pull test increased from 12.2.% to 61.5%P < 0.001). In addition, a decrease in seborrhea and seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp was observed.

Conclusions: Since safety and tolerability in all of the studies was good, the topical application of a cosmetic melatonin solution can be considered as a treatment option in androgenetic alopecia.

CF

Back to top Go down

Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia Empty Re: Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia

Post  theseeker86 Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm currently taking oral melatonin, no idea how I'd get a topical of it but nice study thanks for posting.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia Empty Re: Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia

Post  CF Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:23 pm

There are not a lot of melatonin topicals on the market.  Asatex is a topical at .0033% melatonin and also has biotin and ginkgo biloba.  It seems popular enough in Europe, but nothing really available in the U.S.  Either way, it's expensive.

I ordered 5 grams off eBay for 12 bucks (including shipping).  Melatonin is water soluble but I will probably add ethanol to improve absorption, and add it to Rejuveplex.  In this application to the EU from the company I mentioned above it says they performed tests on subjects using only melatonin once daily with a 3 ml 30/70 ethanol/water solution, with melatonin at .0033%.  I don't plan on using that much ethanol.  I am not sure how much melatonin I plan on using, but there was a different female only study where they used .1%.  I know I don't plan on going that high. 

http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_022.pdf

CF

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down