Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyYesterday at 8:05 am by CausticSymmetry

» zombie cells
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.

+4
panoslydios
rofl
Misirlou
SlowMoe
8 posters

Go down

Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. Empty Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.

Post  SlowMoe Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 am

Topical administration of Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract (RO-ext, 2 mg/day/mouse) improved hair regrowth in C57BL/6NCrSlc mice that experienced hair regrowth interruption induced by testosterone treatment. In addition, RO-ext promoted hair growth in C3H/He mice that had their dorsal areas shaved. To investigate the antiandrogenic activity mechanism of RO-ext, we focused on inhibition of testosterone 5α-reductase, which is well recognized as one of the most effective strategies for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. RO-ext showed inhibitory activity of 82.4% and 94.6% at 200 and 500 µg/mL, respectively. As an active constituent of 5α-reductase inhibition, 12-methoxycarnosic acid was identified with activity-guided fractionation. In addition, the extract of R. officinalis and 12-methoxycarnosic acid inhibited androgen-dependent proliferation of LNCaP cells as 64.5% and 66.7% at 5 µg/mL and 5 μM, respectively. These results suggest that they inhibit the binding of dihydrotestosterone to androgen receptors. Consequently, RO-ext is a promising crude drug for hair growth.
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. Empty Re: Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.

Post  SlowMoe Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 am

Does anyone know where to purchase an extract of this potency? Or how to create it...I have no idea how potent the extracts in the stores are, looks like a big difference in results vs. potency
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. Empty Re: Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.

Post  Misirlou Sat May 11, 2013 9:03 am

Not sure about potency or usability:
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=rosemary+extract+leaf&x=0&y=0#p=1

DIY:
https://www.google.se/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=howt+to+make+your+own+extract+rosemary&oq=howt+to+make+your+own+extract+rosemary&gs_l=hp.3..33i21.419.5181.0.5252.42.36.2.0.0.0.204.3907.16j18j1.35.0...0.0...1c.1.12.psy-ab.FWlNWGsRDFU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.bGE&fp=a87d63ca561643f&biw=1680&bih=903

Misirlou

Back to top Go down

Post  rofl Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 am

not sure if this helps , and the last thing i want to do is perpetuate a scam, however back 5 yrs when i started researching all this stuff, i got sucked into buying a ebook
the reason i am telling u is becuase it has rosemary in it, and u may be able to use the same method to safely concentrate it. I garrantee nothing!

get some bunches of rosemary from the herbs part of the supermarket, and buy some ginger roots, and lavender oil. (iu can ommitt the lav oil if u want)

boil up lots of rosemary, and cut up the ginger and add it. use lots ( the stupid ebbok didnt go into amounts) boil it for 10 minutes, then add some lavender oil. let cool, and strain the liquid into a spray bottle and discard the remaining soilds. spray all over hair a few times a day.

i doubt it will cause any regrowth, but it feels nice, not sticky etc, and is probably good for the hair, and most importantly its safe to try. using this method u can probably make it really strong by using lots of rosemary and ginger.

its a way to make strong rosemary topical, if nothing else.

rofl
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post  panoslydios Sun May 12, 2013 4:51 am

Is rosemarinus officinalis the same as rosemary?

If so,my aunt uses green soap with rosemary and her hair have definetely thicken
through the years.
She washes her hair with this soap.
panoslydios
panoslydios

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 am

Based on the doses given to the rats, rat body surface area, and human scalp surface area, we'd probably need around 20-30 mg of RO extract in solution daily to get the same effect. I'd imagine it would need to be a pretty pure extract, something like a supercritical CO2 extract. Not sure if a standard extract from an online store would do the trick as most of these are alcohol tinctures, it would probably require more.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post   Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Could a dermaneedler help? Randomly Googling I came across a website where a woman claims regrowth after combining microneedling with garlic and rosemary oils (http://blackhairmedia.com/allthingshair/how-to-quickly-grow-your-edges-and-hairline-back-when-nothing-else-works/)

Back to top Go down

Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. Empty Interesting

Post  OpenBook Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 am

This is interesting. My schampoo is running out, after readign Xenon's success and this thread, I'll definetly give soap a try.

I'm thinking about buying http://hairevo.com/shop/organic-soap-cold-pressed/35-ortho-organics-seabuckthorn-soap-3-pack.html

It contains Rosmarinus officinalis (aka Rosemary) extract.

OpenBook

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 am

panoslydios wrote:Is rosemarinus officinalis the same as rosemary?

If so,my aunt uses green soap with rosemary and her hair have definetely thicken
through the years.
She washes her hair with this soap.

Yes, that is the botanical name of rosemary.

Unim, that's a good article you linked. I'd incorporate dermarolling, but it's not easy to find or order one where I'm at.

SlowMoe, the effect of rosemary could possibly be attributed to its blood pressure raising quality when used in sufficient concentration. This is a well known property of rosemary and you can search for it on the web. This theory also ties in with the study you have been citing of late which finds the mpb scalps to have lower blood pressure.

I have essential oil of rosemary, and it is quite potent stuff like most essential oils. It should suffice for someone looking for concentrated rosemary. I should also report that its blood pressure raising effect is real and I have had headaches if I use more than a drop or two (mixed in aqueous or oil medium) on the head. So, rosemary definitely has a blood pressure raising effect locally when applied on an area of skin.

Found an article on blood pressure raising essential oils that might be of interest-
http://roberttisserand.com/articles/Essentialoilsandhypertension.pdf
It is worth noting that many of these oils like rosemary, sage and pine particularly are said to be beneficial for hair growth.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 am

So does it seem feasible that rosemary essential oil/ emu oil 50/50would be similar in potency as the mixture described in the OP....Because it seems like the effects are somewhat dose dependent...
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 am

SlowMoe wrote:So does it seem feasible that rosemary essential oil/ emu oil 50/50would be similar in potency as the mixture described in the OP....Because it seems like the effects are somewhat dose dependent...

"... Rosemary extract at ... 200 and 500 µg/mL ..."

1 ug/mL = 1 ppm. So we're talking Rosemary extract strengths of 200 and 500 ppm. A bit of google search with key terms suggests Rosemary EO could be available in strngths anywhere from 100-1000 plus. I guess purchased from a reasonably reputed source, Rosemary EO can be expected to have 300-600 ppm. This is in the same ballpark as the concentration in your OP. I don't have much idea about Emu Oil, but Coconut Oil would probably act as a reasonable carrier too.

Such high concentration of Rosemary EO, particularly on the scalp, would be contraindicated by aromatherapists, by the way. They are more likely to use rosemary essential oil/ carrier (emu or whatever) oil in 1/20 ratio, i.e., about 5/95. That would be a typical recommended dilution for EOs.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 am

9rugrats5 wrote:
SlowMoe wrote:So does it seem feasible that rosemary essential oil/ emu oil 50/50would be similar in potency as the mixture described in the OP....Because it seems like the effects are somewhat dose dependent...

1 ug/mL = 1 ppm. So we're talking Rosemary extract strengths of 200 and 500 ppm. A bit of google search with key terms suggests Rosemary EO could be available in strngths anywhere from 100-1000 plus. I guess purchased from a reasonably reputed source, Rosemary EO can be expected to have 300-600 ppm. This is in the same ballpark as the concentration in your OP. I don't have much idea about Emu Oil, but Coconut Oil would probably act as a reasonable carrier too.

Such high concentration of Rosemary EO, particularly on the scalp, would be contraindicated by aromatherapists, by the way. They are more likely to use rosemary essential oil/ carrier (emu or whatever) oil in 1/20 ratio, i.e., about 5/95. That would be a typical recommended dilution for EOs.

So some 400-1,000 PPM Rosemary EO mixed 50/50 with a carrier oil should be a similar in potency to the experiment discussed....

Now, is the extract discussed in the op and essential oil two completely different things, or is rosemary rosemary.

Also, you mentioned aromatherapy; that treatment is based on the effects of the scents on the human body, not the effect the actual oil has once it enters the bloodstream, correct..
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 am

SlowMoe wrote:
9rugrats5 wrote:

So some 400-1,000 PPM Rosemary EO mixed 50/50 with a carrier oil should be a similar in potency to the experiment discussed....

Now, is the extract discussed in the op and essential oil two completely different things, or is rosemary rosemary.

Also, you mentioned aromatherapy; that treatment is based on the effects of the scents on the human body, not the effect the actual oil has once it enters the bloodstream, correct..

Yes, as I said earlier, the potency would be similar.

Rosemary essential oil is got by steam distillation and the yields are of the order 0.5-2.0%. It would contain volatile as well as non-volatile compounds found in rosemary. Rosemary extract probably means that chemical constituents were 'extracted' (as compared to distilled) from Rosemary using a solvent, possibly an alcoholic or acidic medium. In my view, the efficacy of both should be similar. I can't really say why the EO is said to be of certain ppm- possibly because they measure the concentration of an active constituent(s) of Rosemary, or because some water finds its way during steam distillation. Edit- On second thoughts, oil and water don't mix, so this can't be the explanation. My short guess would be, they should both work similarly- if anything, the EO might be more concentrated.

Regarding your last question, aromatherapy also typically includes topical application of essential oils on skin. So it involves the olfactory system primarily, but also claims absorption via skin.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Tue May 14, 2013 1:57 am

9rugrats5 wrote:
Rosemary essential oil is got by steam distillation and the yields are of the order 0.5-2.0%.

So that would be 5,000 to 20,000 PPM, not 200 to 500, correct...

10% is 100,000 PPM, right?..

So it would be 1 part rosemary EO to 20 parts carrier for 500 PPM?
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 am

Ok, SlowMoe, I looked into this and I need to correct myself here about the Essential Oils having a certain ppm concentration (whereas they are considered pure), and in the process I hope other things shall be clearer.

1. The authors talk about Rosemary Extract. This means the extract is in a medium. But we don't care whether it is an extract that is used or a 100% pure rosemary that is used, as long as we are provided
the rosemary ppm in the test solutions (which we are provided with, 200 and 500).

Here's a good thread discussing this study and the concentration needed-
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=101157&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
Here's a link for Rosemary extract for sale, taken from the above thread on HLH-
http://shop.newdirections.com.au/17-ml-Rosemary-Antioxidant

2. Now, if we procure rosemary extract then we need to know the %age of rosemary in it. If we procure rosemary essential oil, it is a pure, undiluted product. PPM for Rosemary EO does not make sense in its packaged form- it only makes sense when we actually go ahead and dilute it in some medium. I have seen a couple of papers where the researchers dissolve the EOs in 1 ml of DMSO and then further dilute with water to get to a desired ppm of the herb (of which herb, the EO was used).

Initially, I guess, one would need to know or determine the average molecular mass of Rosemary EO (average, since it would contain many chemical compounds) and DMSO (simpler, single). Once the ppm of Rosemary is known in this DMSO solution, it is then diluted in water (molecular mass of 18), and from this point on the ppm calculation becomes fairly easy. The link below should help refresh our chemistry a bit-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

Hope that helps a bit.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 am

More links. About ppm, ug/ml, and more-

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=5aIZ6pO6ljkC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=microgram+per+ml+to+ppm&source=bl&ots=eq3faPYcep&sig=ZwGYH5IOnUPUyhw0PnzQ2NUeNYI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nDGRUYfiB5GyrAfjkoHYAQ&ved=0CGMQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=microgram%20per%20ml%20to%20ppm&f=false

http://www.smarte.org/smarte/dynamic/resource/sn-units-of-measure.xml.pdf

http://www.rapidtables.com/math/number/PPM.htm

Edit- One last link. Read the posts by one Kempraj.
http://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_concentration_measurement_unit_more_adequate_for_report_antimicrobial_activity_of_essential_oils
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 am

Perhaps the simplest way to go about it is to call up the manufacturer of the oil, inform them that we need a 500 ppm solution, and ask them to give us the proper EO/ carrier ratio....
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post  9rugrats5 Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 am

SlowMoe wrote:Perhaps the simplest way to go about it is to call up the manufacturer of the oil, inform them that we need a 500 ppm solution, and ask them to give us the proper EO/ carrier ratio....

Yeah, I think that would be the easiest way, unless you know a chemist. If you are buying from an aromatherapy website, I think they should be able to help out with how to get to the desired ppm. Do remember that you will have to use DMSO, ethyl alcohol, etc as intermediate to dissolve the EO first before it can dissolve in an aqueous medium.
9rugrats5
9rugrats5

Back to top Go down

Post  SlowMoe Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 am

What about mixing it with emu oil? I have some and I heard it is a ood carier because it absorbs extremely well...
SlowMoe
SlowMoe

Back to top Go down

Post   Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 pm

So I bought a small bottle of rosemary essential oil to try... Since I am prone to acne I simply soak the end of a cotton bud stick in water then apply a drop of the oil to it. I've been rubbing the end over my hairline, crown and a bit all over the scalp twice per day.

It seems to have eliminated the remaining mild inflammation in my scalp I have been unable to completely resolve with supplements. Now if I press down on the sides, back or top of my scalp it all feels exactly the same.

Apparently components of rosemary can help with oestrogen metabolism and are probably antimicrobial too. I do feel some "anti-oestrogen" effect even at the tiny dose I am using. It seems to tick a lot of the right boxes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down