Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people!

3 posters

Go down

Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! Empty Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people!

Post  sizzlinghairs Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 am

Hey everyone, so I take MSM daily as just an overall booster for my hair. I like how it helps it grow faster etc.

I stumbled on this study, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19336900, which says : "MSM significantly inhibited the release of nitric oxide and prostaglandin E(2) by alleviating the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase-2 in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 cells."

Now I know nitric oxide is critical for erections so I was very concerned when I read this. My question is: is this saying it is only lowering NO when it is released as part of inflammation or is it just lowering NO overall, regardless?

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated!

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! Empty Re: Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people!

Post  sizzlinghairs Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:58 am

Anyone?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people! Empty Re: Need help interpreting this study on MSM, looking for science minded people!

Post  sizzlinghairs Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Caustic symmetry, nidhogge, anyone? :-(

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 pm

There isn't a whole lot to analyze there in the abstract by itself. I was having trouble getting the link for the full text. But this shows promise for MSM.

LPS induces release of pro-inflammatory substances by immune cells, probably from the gut mucosa. MSM seemed to inhibit NF-kB signalling in vitro, at least partially from preventing breakdown of the inhibitor of NF-kB. It also seemed to reduce NO and PGE, by reducing iNOS.

When the liquid that covered the cell culture contained MSM, the cells expressed lower levels of interleukin-6 and TNF-a, being a sign of reduced inflammation.

The interesting piece for me was that in vivo MSM had the same effects topically in lowering inflammation in the mouse ear that was artificially given edema.

A few things to keep in mind though, murine=mice, so any results had here were on mouse cells. The merit of using mice is the degree of similarity in our immune system components, but there is a lot of variation overall so you don't always get perfect extrapolation to humans.

Second, we don't have much of an idea of the amounts used, other than 500-1250 mcg per ear for the latter part. Given that these are mice, we'd need substantially more, but luckily that wasn't a whole lot. I'd like to know the amounts used for the earlier parts of the study, and then we could probably do a bit of math to come up with how much we should be taking.

AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for the reply Anthony. Would you say this could be interpreted that MSM would lower nitric oxide across the board under all circumstances in the body? (negative side effect) Or would you think that it only does in relation to the inflammatory process? (isolated, specific)

Thanks!

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 am

Nope, definitely not. NO is too important for so many other bodily functions, and luckily, NO synthase, which is responsible for producing it, has several forms.

The eNOS and nNOS forms of this are calcium sensitive and act in the endothelium and neurons, respectively. The iNOS (inducible) is basically just a part of our immune system. Unlike the other ones, it isn't calcium sensitive but is instead sensitive to inflammatory cytokines like NF-kB and the interleukins.

So my guess would be that MSM is somehow inhibiting these signals so that iNOS doesn't start to produce large physiological amounts of NO.

NO is a free radical so iNOS produces a ton of it in the presence of other oxidative threats like tumors or bacterial infections in order to stave them off. But there are other pathological problems with iNOS that sometimes cause people to produce far too much (involved with autoimmunity), especially in people with hypersensitivity (to food and things that make contact with the skin). So MSM would appear to be beneficial, along with anything else that lowers NF-kB, for people with sensitivities or autoimmune conditions.

So yeah, MSM probably doesn't intervene with iNOS directly, but instead lower NF-kB. This would not mean NO produced through other processes would be reduced, as they are more dependent on calcium levels. You could take MSM and still get an erection haha.

As a side note, pathological production of too much NO by iNOS slows down smooth muscle contraction, lowers gut motility, and promotes overgrowth of bacteria there and also low acid levels. This perpetuates a leaky gut situation, so anybody with SIBO or IBD should be interested in something like MSM.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks for that informative reply. Yeah, I definitely didnt want to be interfering with the good ol' sexual function, lol. I already went down that route once with propecia so Im hyper averse to any possible red flags that could come from meds/supps.

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:05 pm

The short answer on the iNOS, is that Peroxynitrite is generated by inducible nitric oxide synthase, say in the case of LPS.

There are some older posts on the "NO-ONOO" cycle.

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t1630-no-onoo-cycle

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 am

Hey Immortal, so you are seconding what anthony is saying about MSM only effecting NO specific to the inflammation process right?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am

Just bumping this real quick. Immortal, still wondering if you could confirm: MSM only effects NO in relation to the inflammatory process and not as an automatic affect of consumption correct?

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  sizzlinghairs Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 am

Please Immortal, just looking for a quick confirmation of your opinion on this to ease my mind Neutral

sizzlinghairs

Back to top Go down

Post  AS54 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 am

Hey SH, have you tried PM'ing him? Being that he already chimed in on this thread a while back, he might just gloss over it now. Try PM'ing him if you haven't. Also you probably have a better bet of getting his attention if you address him in the title of the post. So you could send this study out to him that way and ask your specific question.
AS54
AS54

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am

sizzlinghairs wrote:Hey Immortal, so you are seconding what anthony is saying about MSM only effecting NO specific to the inflammation process right?

No worries about MSM. There are other factors involved with nitric oxide.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down