Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients.

Go down

Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients. Empty Evaluation of various insulin sensitivity indices in lean idiopathic hirsutism patients.

Post  missymoo Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Abstract
Hirsutism is characterized by excessive growth of terminal hair in a male pattern. Idiopathic hirsutism (IH) is a common cause of hirsutism. Since there are few data demonstrating IH is associated with insulin resistance, we tried to assess various insulin sensitivity indices in lean IH and compare with healthy subjects. A cross-sectional study was performed in 71 lean (BMI between 20-25 kg/m(2)) women (17-39 years old), 31 with IH and 40 healthy individuals. Blood glucose, insulin, homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), hepatic insulin sensitivity (ISI (HOMA)), Quicky index, reciprocal fasting insulin resistance index, fasting Belfiore index, and fasting glucose/insulin ration (GIR) were estimated using a single fasting sample of glucose and insulin levels. Raynaud indices calculated using the mathematical estimation in a single fasting sample of insulin levels were determined and compared in two groups. Fasting insulin, Raynaud index, HOMA-IR and Fasting insulin resistance index (FIRI) results were higher in IH group than in controls (p<0.01, for all). Fasting Belfiore index, QUICKI index, ISI(HOMA) and FIRI(-1) results were lower in IH group than in controls (p<0.01, for all). Our study showed that lean IH patients were more insulin resistant than healthy subjects. We propose that insulin sensitivity indices are useful methods for measuring insulin resistance in IH.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22322894

I know insulin resistance has been discussed to death here but I found it interesting and promising.

I am thin and have mild hirsutism, my blood tests always come back normal, never been diagnosed with PCOS, not sure if I've ever been tested properly for insulin resistance, I think only fasting glucose was tested.

If I google insulin resistance I'm always told that I'm not likely to have it because of my low weight and small waist line, the only symptom I have is constant sugar cravings.

This would explain so much for me, I was told that I suffer from this because my dad is hairy, the thing is all these hairs came up when I turned 20, after coming of an anti-candida diet and then starting to drink alcohol (what an assault that would have been to my system). These newer hairs are black, unlike the hair that came up during puberty; that doesn't sound like hair I was "programmed to have".

Could this also explain why some people have AGA and/or hirsutism but have normal androgen levels? Or does it still come down to follicle sensitivity?

missymoo

Back to top Go down