Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes

5 posters

Go down

Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes Empty Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes

Post  a<r Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes: an assessment of the evidence and need for future research.
Grossi SG.
Source

Periodontal Disease Research Center, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, The University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, USA. grossi@acsu.buffalo.edu
Abstract

Evidence points to an increased cytokine response in type 2 diabetes, especially the proinflammatory cytokines interleukin (IL)-1 beta, IL-6, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha. Genetics, age, and, nutrition are important signals for this increased response and as reported more recently, infections and inflammation. Persistent elevation of IL-1 beta, IL-6, and TNF-alpha in the diabetic state have an effect on the liver, stimulate the release of acute-phase proteins, produce the characteristic dysregulation of lipid metabolism associated with type 2 diabetes, and have effects on pancreatic beta cells as well. In addition, TNF-alpha, a potent inhibitor of the tyrosine kinase activity of the insulin receptor, has been implicated as an etiologic factor for insulin resistance. Collectively, the evidence supports a role for cytokine elevation in the pathophysiology and metabolic abnormalities associated with diabetes. Periodontitis is an infection that is twice as prevalent in diabetic individuals compared to non-diabetics. Porphyromonas gingivalis, one of the microorganisms responsible for this infection, is able to invade endothelial cells and is a potent signal for monocyte and macrophage activation. Thus, once established in the diabetic host, this chronic infection complicates diabetes control and increases the occurrence and severity of microvascular and macrovascular complications. Unlike treatment of acute infections, modalities of treatment for chronic infections are a matter of debate. Evidence indicates that mechanical removal of subgingival infection does not result in complete elimination of periodontal infection and consequently there is no effect on diabetes control measured as reduction in glycated hemoglobin. On the other hand, studies incorporating systemic antibiotics as adjuncts to mechanical debridement result in a reduction of P. gingivalis to nondetectable levels and a concomitant reduction in glycated hemoglobin, independent of the hypoglycemic effects of diabetes drugs or insulin. The evidence supports the notion that treatment of chronic periodontal infection is essential in the diabetic patient. Assessment of infection status in diabetic patients is fundamental for appropriate treatment decisions.

"When you're going through hell, keep going!" - Winstone Churchill
a<r
a<r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes Empty Re: Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes

Post  hadrion Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:36 am

AR - So then my next question is what is the consensus right way to fight periodontis with what we know in here?

Chelation & removal of mercury fillings?

Just regular brushing and flossing?

Anything else we should be doing? Brushing w/Vitamin C crystals, salt, or baking soda? A combination of those 3?

Should we avoid flouride as I've been doing? I'm using the Xylitol toothpaste CS recommended in here awhile ago.

I'm terrified to go to the traditional dentist now so I'm doing all my care on my own until I get hooked up with a Huggins dentist in my area.

Knowing there's a link between disease and oral pathology it would be great to get an oral care regimen nailed down for people to follow.

It was funny, when I read your two posts I thought of my best friend who is 36 and a type 2 diabetic. He has terrible teeth and always has since we were kids. A lot of it was chalked up to smoking in my eyes but the more I think about it the people I know who are sick have poor teeth/gums you can visibly see.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes Empty Re: Treatment of periodontal disease and control of diabetes

Post  ubraj Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:33 am

A good quote from author The Silent Saboteurs

"We have been monitoring our very old patients for the last 5 years and found that our very old population who are healthy with no chronic illnesses have no spirochetes. Our in house study is up to over 100 patients who have no chronic illnesses. These folks have not had diabetes, heart disease, or signs of alzheimers. They have no oral spirochetes! Why? We do not know why some persons are not infected with spirochetes but we are seeing that those who are not have no other chronic illnesses as well. These persons are remarkable"

https://www.youtube.com/user/implantdrdm#p/u/17/xnZ8KylZneM

Bet they also don't have blocked VDR receptors (Vitamin D receptors)... which if you take D3 supplement helps with above conditions including diabetes but as I've mentioned in the past isn't the solution and actually part of the problem.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:39 am

I noticed improvements in oral health after incorporating green tea and honey into my diet. Reduced plaque formation and better breath.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  elan164 Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 am

rdkml wrote:A good quote from author The Silent Saboteurs

"We have been monitoring our very old patients for the last 5 years and found that our very old population who are healthy with no chronic illnesses have no spirochetes. Our in house study is up to over 100 patients who have no chronic illnesses. These folks have not had diabetes, heart disease, or signs of alzheimers. They have no oral spirochetes! Why? We do not know why some persons are not infected with spirochetes but we are seeing that those who are not have no other chronic illnesses as well. These persons are remarkable"

https://www.youtube.com/user/implantdrdm#p/u/17/xnZ8KylZneM

Bet they also don't have blocked VDR receptors (Vitamin D receptors)... which if you take D3 supplement helps with above conditions including diabetes but as I've mentioned in the past isn't the solution and actually part of the problem.

He mentions clorox bleach and baking soda being the only things he knows of that will properly clean the mouth. Do you think it is safe to use diluted clorox in the mouth?

"The only effective techniques involve using bactericidal materials such as clorox and high concentrations of baking soda... Other things such as hydrogen peroxide, povidone iodine, chlorhexidiene, and table salt have drawbacks in daily use. Tooth pastes are valuable in stopping and treating tooth decay, but flossing and brushing with tooth paste or oral rinses with items such as OTC mouth washes will not guarantee a kill, and in comparison to clorox are very expensive over a lifetime. Patients wonder if clorox is toxic. While it tastes terrible, it is harmless when diluted to 0.3 percent, that is a 20:1 dilution of 6% clorox. Clorox turns into
table salt in the stomach if swallowed."

elan164

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Effect of Periodontitis on Insulin Resistance and the Onset of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Zucker Diabetic Fatty Rats.

Journal of periodontology 2008 Jul 1; 79(7):1208-1216

Link to PubMed abstract

Watanabe K, Petro B BJ, Shlimon A AE, Unterman T TG

* Department of Periodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL., dagger Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago., double dagger Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of

Background: Studies indicate that an association exists between periodontitis and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and/or obesity, with chronic inflammation hypothesized as the common denominator. The purpose of this study was to determine the causal effect of periodontitis and the concomitant impact of diet on the onset of insulin resistance (IR) and T2DM using a rat model system that simulates human obesity and T2DM. Methods: Twenty-eight, 5-week-old female Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF, fa/fa) rats were divided into four groups of seven animals: high-fat fed-periodontitis (HF/P), high-fat fed-no periodontitis (HF/C), low-fat fed-periodontitis (LF/P), and low-fat fed-no periodontitis (LF/C). Periodontitis was induced by ligature placement. Fasting plasma insulin and glucose levels were measured, and glucose tolerance tests were performed to assess glucose homeostasis, IR, and the onset of T2DM. The level of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), leptin, triglycerides, and free fatty acids were determined in week 13 at sacrifice. Results: HF/P rats developed more severe IR compared to HF/C rats (P <0.01) and LF/P or LF/C rats (P <0.001) as measured by fasting insulin levels and homeostasis model assessment analysis. The onset of severe IR occurred approximately 3 weeks earlier in HF/P rats compared to HF/C rats. HF/P rats developed impaired (110 to 125 mg/dl) and frank fasting hyperglycemia (>125 mg/dl) 2 weeks earlier than HF/C rats. There was no difference in the severity and onset of IR and T2DM between LF/P and LF/C rats. The level of TNF-alpha was significantly higher in HF/P rats compared to HF/C rats (P <0.01). Conclusion: Periodontitis accelerated the onset of severe IR and impaired glucose homeostasis in high-fat fed ZDF rats.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down