Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction

2 posters

Go down

Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction Empty Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction

Post  mphatesmpb Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:31 am

Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction in Han adolescents.
Zhang H, Liao W, Chao W, Chen Q, Zeng H, Wu C, Wu S, Ho HI.
Source

Department of Dermatology, First Affiliated Hospital, Jinan University, Guangzhou, China. tzhangh@jnu.edu.cn
Abstract

Sebaceous gland diseases are a group of common dermatological diseases with multiple causes. To date, a systematic report of the risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases in adolescents has not been published. The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence and risk factors for certain sebaceous gland diseases (seborrhea, seborrheic dermatitis, acne, androgenetic alopecia and rosacea) and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction in adolescents. From August-October, 2002-2005, a questionnaire survey was carried out to obtain epidemiological data about sebaceous gland diseases. Using random cluster sampling, 13 215 Han adolescents aged 12-20 years were recruited from four countries or districts (Macau; Guangzhou, China; Malaysia; and Indonesia). The statistical software SPSS ver. 13.0 was used to analyze the data. The prevalence of seborrhea, seborrheic dermatitis, acne, androgenetic alopecia and rosacea was 28.27%, 10.17%, 51.03%, 1.65% and 0.97%, respectively. Based on multivariate logistic regression analysis, the risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases included: age; duration of local residency; halitosis; gastric reflux; abdominal bloating; constipation; sweet food; spicy food; family history of acne; late night sleeping on a daily basis; excessive axillary, body and facial hair; excessive periareolar hair; and anxiety. There was a statistically significant difference in the prevalence of gastrointestinal symptoms (halitosis; gastric reflux; abdominal bloating; constipation) between patients with and without sebaceous gland diseases (chi(2) = 150.743; P = 0.000). Gastrointestinal dysfunction is an important risk factor for diseases of the sebaceous glands and is correlated with their occurrence and development.

LF, you would probably find this pretty interesting.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction Empty Re: Risk factors for sebaceous gland diseases and their relationship to gastrointestinal dysfunction

Post  LittleFighter Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:42 am

I find it very interesting thanks... don't recall ever seeing that study before.

At the same time, this is not suprising to me at all.

CS posted some time ago a study correlating oral sulphur containing gases with AGA.

An oral probiotic (L. Paracasei ST11) is able to eliminate dandruff and change skin microflora, reducing yeasts and other undesirable species. I find that very revealing. I think we're missing the root of the problem, and just trying to attack the consequences.
:
What can we do, IMHO and based on knowleadble people I respect (Dr Art Ayers, Michael Ash, etc):

-Change diet (Paleo style), but really consume soluble fiber from pectin, leeks, veggies, almonds, etc. Dr Ayers correlates starch and seed oil consumption with changes in gut flora
-Biofilm protocol - Now I believe this is very important, otherwise you can't produce lasting changes or even get rid of infection. This may be the key!
-Certain probiotics - LGG, SB, LP299v, B.L. HN0019 and others. These ones are studied, anti-inflammatory, powerful and can actually boost your own flora to a good degree
-Phytochemicals - Cocoa, Curcumin, Resveratrol, Ginger, Cinnamon, Berries and others. They inhibit biofilm formation and continously destroy pathogens, have a prebiotic effect, etc.

Simple consumption of apples and nuts can produce notable changes in immune function in a matter of weeks! I posted the recipe.

I'm currently starting with a conservative biofilm protocol, I'm testing it before recommending it to everyone.
BTW, I noticed you like to consume cocoa. I recently started to drink pure (non alkalized) cocoa with a lot of ceylon cinnamon. Both have many health benefits and can modify your gut flora. I'm currently also testing some new strains (at least to me) of probiotics, so I will be glad to recommend them after I'm done evaluating them. So far so good!

Prebiotic evaluation of cocoa-derived flavanols in healthy humans by using a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover intervention study.
Tzounis X, Rodriguez-Mateos A, Vulevic J, Gibson GR, Kwik-Uribe C, Spencer JP.
Source

Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, The University of Reading, Reading, UK.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The absorption of cocoa flavanols in the small intestine is limited, and the majority of the flavanols reach the large intestine where they may be metabolized by resident microbiota.
OBJECTIVE:

We assessed the prebiotic potential of cocoa flavanols in a randomized, double-blind, crossover, controlled intervention study.
DESIGN:

Twenty-two healthy human volunteers were randomly assigned to either a high-cocoa flavanol (HCF) group (494 mg cocoa flavanols/d) or a low-cocoa flavanol (LCF) group (23 mg cocoa flavanols/d) for 4 wk. This was followed by a 4-wk washout period before volunteers crossed to the alternant arm. Fecal samples were recovered before and after each intervention, and bacterial numbers were measured by fluorescence in situ hybridization. A number of other biochemical and physiologic markers were measured.
RESULTS:

Compared with the consumption of the LCF drink, the daily consumption of the HCF drink for 4 wk significantly increased the bifidobacterial (P < 0.01) and lactobacilli (P < 0.001) populations but significantly decreased clostridia counts (P < 0.001). These microbial changes were paralleled by significant reductions in plasma triacylglycerol (P < 0.05) and C-reactive protein (P < 0.05) concentrations. Furthermore, changes in C-reactive protein concentrations were linked to changes in lactobacilli counts (P < 0.05, R(2) = -0.33 for the model). These in vivo changes were closely paralleled by cocoa flavanol-induced bacterial changes in mixed-batch culture experiments.
CONCLUSION:

This study shows, for the first time to our knowledge, that consumption of cocoa flavanols can significantly affect the growth of select gut microflora in humans, which suggests the potential prebiotic benefits associated with the dietary inclusion of flavanol-rich foods. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01091922.

I believe 10 g per day of cocoa replicates this, that's 2 tbsp. Like I mentioned I also add cinnamon for other benefits (antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, antiinflammatory) and stevia... this stuff tastes delicious.

Food is very important to mantain one's gut flora (phytochemicals, polysaccharides). Bifidobacteria is associated with longevity. Too much to say...
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down