Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG

4 posters

Go down

Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG Empty Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am

Association of vitamin D status with serum androgen levels in men.
Wehr E, Pilz S, Boehm BO, März W, Obermayer-Pietsch B.
Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Nuclear Medicine, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Studies in rodents indicate a role of vitamin D in male reproduction, but the relationship between vitamin D and androgen levels in men is largely unexplored. We aimed to investigate the association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels with testosterone, free androgen index (FAI) and SHBG. Moreover, we examined whether androgen levels show a similar seasonal variation to 25(OH)D.
DESIGN:

In this cross-sectional study, 25(OH)D, testosterone and SHBG levels were assessed by immunoassay in 2299 men who were routinely referred for coronary angiography (1997-2000).
MEASUREMENTS:

Main outcome measures were associations of 25(OH)D levels with testosterone, SHBG and FAI. FAI was calculated as testosterone (nmol/l)/SHBG (nmol/l) x 100.
RESULTS:

Men with sufficient 25(OH)D levels (> or =30 microg/l) had significantly higher levels of testosterone and FAI and significantly lower levels of SHBG when compared to 25(OH)D insufficient (20-29.9 microg/l) and 25(OH)D-deficient (<20 microg/l) men (P < 0.05 for all). In linear regression analyses adjusted for possible confounders, we found significant associations of 25(OH)D levels with testosterone, FAI and SHBG levels (P < 0.05 for all). 25(OH)D, testosterone and FAI levels followed a similar seasonal pattern with a nadir in March (12.2 microg/l, 15.9 nmol/l and 40.8, respectively) and peak levels in August (23.4 microg/l, 18.7 nmol/l and 49.7, respectively) (P < 0.05 for all).
CONCLUSION:

Androgen levels and 25(OH)D levels are associated in men and reveal a concordant seasonal variation. Randomized controlled trials are warranted to evaluate the effect of vitamin D supplementation on androgen levels.

We all know that SHBG is lower in men suffering from MPB, and that low SHBG is the primary cause of balding in young men (26 years or younger). I'm not trying to start another vitamin D debate, but this study seems to suggest that high vitamin D levels in plasma (especially in young men) might not be good from a hair loss point of view. Furthermore, I've posted some studies showing that vitamin D3 upregulates the expression of TGF-beta in dermal papilla cells of the hair follicle.

Link: https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5305-vitamin-d3-analog-upregulates-tgf-beta2-in-dermal-papilla-cells
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG Empty Re: Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG

Post  tonyj Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:53 am

mphatesmpb- Am I missing something here? The last study you brought up,
"TGF-beta2 is specifically expressed in human dermal papilla cells and modulates hair folliculogenesis," suggested in the conclusion vitamin D unregulated TGF-B2 and vitamin D signal was essential for hair folliculogenesis.

It seemed to me the study was saying on thing, and your conclusions where completely different. So maybe I missed something.
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG Empty Re: Vitamin D increases free androgens and lowers SHBG

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Will have an article shortly on HealthyFixx.com that explains that nutrients like Vitamin D rarely work their full magic in isolation.

Vitamin A (from animal sources) is a major co-factor for example.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2643336/?tool=pubmed

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mphatesmpb Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

tonyj,

TGF-beta signalling is necessary for the formation of hair follicles (folliculogenesis). However, the formation of hair follicles occurs when you are a fetus. The studies I posted showed that vitamin D3 and its analogues upregulate the expression of TGF-beta in the fully developed hair follicles of adults, and that increased expression of TGF-beta is a key component of androgen-mediated hair loss. When DHT binds to the androgen receptors in the dermal papilla cells of the hair follicle, the DPCs start producing more TGF-beta, which acts as a signal to the keratinocytes (telling them to stop proliferating).

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/t5305-vitamin-d3-analog-upregulates-tgf-beta2-in-dermal-papilla-cells

CS,

I'll look forward to that article. Btw, I don't mean to be argumentative when I post these studies, or when I have different opinions from others on this forum. I really appreciate the discussions that go on here, and I especially appreciate CS's patience and generosity with regarding to sharing his knowledge on this stuff. And to dispel any suspicions, I'm not Mr. E... I have grass-fed steaks for dinner every night. In fact I get perhaps 40% or more of my total calories from saturated fat.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  sc871 Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm

I have skimmed a number of threads on vitamin D and I am on edge. Take last summer for example, I noticed alot of shedding, I was out doors quite a bit (I was taking a general vitamin d as well). This past winter I got on the IH regimen dropped the vitamin d for the D3, started with 5k for about 2 months switched on/off with 1k, now taking the 1k for the past 1-2 months because of being outdoors. My skin is great, as it usually is is softer and less flakey in the summer, not to say it from the D3 but maybe sun, d3 and other factors. So far no big sheds, but its still early, as it was not til Sept or I noticed a big change.

sc871

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down