Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyToday at 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyToday at 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyYesterday at 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

» Potential Natural Products Regulation of Molecular Signaling Pathway in Dermal Papilla Stem Cells
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 7:44 am by CausticSymmetry

» Breast Biopsy
Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am by shaftless

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing

2 posters

Go down

Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing Empty Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing

Post  mphatesmpb Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 am

1. Properly Time Your Antioxidant Intake

When I first got interested in weight lifting and bodybuilding I read stories about professional bodybuilders and their tackle boxes full of supplements and vitamins. Most notably, Skip La Cour would keep one in the trunk of his car. When he left the gym he'd open his trunk and go through a post-workout ritual of pill popping, including vitamins E and C.

With a physique like Skip's, it would be hard to question his methods, but what if his post-workout E and C supplementation was actually hindering potential results and decreasing his insulin sensitivity?

Ludicrous right? Well, keep reading.

It's common knowledge that one of the benefits of training is that it increases insulin sensitivity. Recently a group of German exercise physiologists set out to examine how supplementing with vitamin C (1000mg) and vitamin E (400 IU) affected the post-workout boost in insulin sensitivity.

In this study, 40 young men exercised five days a week (50 minute sessions including cycling and circuit training) for four weeks. The addition of vitamin C and E supplementation in that group completely eliminated the beneficial insulin-sensitizing effects of exercise!

With further investigation it seems that the post-workout increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS) — which is blunted by C and E supplementation — is a necessary phenomenon for increasing insulin sensitivity. The argument for the temporal benefit of ROS post-workout is strengthened by the fact that long term antioxidant supplementation has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity.(1, 2)

Okay, so what do you do with this info? While it's what some would consider "fringe" nutritional science and the standard, "more studies need to be done in this area to further explore our findings" was added by the authors, I say run with it.

If you're looking for an extra potential edge, then I'd avoid antioxidant supplements and high antioxidant foods around and directly after your workouts. This will allow for the natural post-exercise rise in ROS and improvement in insulin sensitivity.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing Empty Re: Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing

Post  nidhogge Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 am

This is a GREAT find...thanks for sharing it! I've been wondering about this for years...personally, I take 5 tabs of HumaProp protein 30 mins prior to working out, 6 capsules of Creatine Diphosphate from ALRI, and then 5 HumaPro tabs directly after. If I have antioxidants, it's usually an hour or so after my work out, which I think is enough time?

Interested in a Laser Helmet, or curious about how you can utilize LLLT (Low-Level Laser Therapy) treatments in our fight against Hair Loss in general? Then, by all means, feel free to drop me a private message!!!

nidhogge

Back to top Go down

Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing Empty Re: Anti-oxidant supplementation potentially blunts the insulin-sensitizing effects of weight-trianing

Post  mphatesmpb Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:52 am

nidhogge,

Here's the link to the study discussed in the above excerpt:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/05/11/0903485106.abstract

It shows how the insulin-sensitizing effects of exercise are mediated by the generation of ROS in muscle tissue.
My current plan of action is to work out first thing in the morning, and take my anti-oxidant supplements in the evening time.
mphatesmpb
mphatesmpb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down