Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» zombie cells
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyYesterday at 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

» Medical Coder During C0NV!D
Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol

4 posters

Go down

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Empty Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol

Post  blackjack Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 pm

NEW YORK — Over the long term, a low-carb diet works just as well as a low-fat diet at taking off the pounds — and it might be better for your heart, new research suggests.

Both diets improved cholesterol in a two-year study that included intensive group counseling. But those on the low-carbohydrate diet got a bigger boost in their so-called good cholesterol, nearly twice as much as those on low-fat.

In previous studies, low-carb diets have done better at weight loss at six months, but longer-term results have been mixed. And there's been a suggestion of better cholesterol from low-carb eating.

The latest test is one of the longest to compare the approaches. At the end of two years, average weight loss was the same for both — about 15 pounds or 7 percent.

The key difference was in HDL, or good cholesterol: a 23 percent increase from low-carb dieting compared to a 12 percent improvement from low-fat, said Gary Foster, director of Temple University's Center for Obesity Research and Education, who led the federally funded study.

He said the low-carb boost is the kind one might get from medicines that improve HDL.

"For a diet, that's pretty impressive," Foster said.

The findings, published in Tuesday's Annals of Internal Medicine, are based on a study of 307 adults, two-thirds of them women. Participants were obese but didn't have cholesterol problems or diabetes.

Half followed a low-carb diet modeled after the Atkins' plan and half went on a low-calorie, low-fat diet. All attended group sessions to help them change bad eating habits, get more active and stick to their diets.

The volunteers had periodic checks of their weight, blood, bone density and body composition. After two years, there was no major differences between diet groups, except in good cholesterol. Why the low-carb diet had a bigger effect on good cholesterol isn't known, the researchers said.

As low-carb plans became popular, experts feared the diet would drive up the risk of heart disease because it allows more fat. The latest results suggest those concerns are unfounded, Foster said. In the low-carb group, there was an early rise in "bad" cholesterol, the kind that builds up in arteries. But after two years, both groups ended up with similar improvements to bad cholesterol.

The study's strengths include its size, length and its multiple locations — Denver, Philadelphia and St. Louis, said Dr. William Yancy, of the Durham VA Medical Center in North Carolina.

"These are results we should have a lot of confidence in," said Yancy, who has done similar diet research but was not involved in the study.

Foster, the study leader, said dieters should be less concerned about which diet to use, and focus on finding the support or technique — like writing down what they eat — that keeps them on track.

"It doesn't make a difference for weight loss how you get there," he said.

With the current obesity epidemic, more than one way is needed to attack the problem, Yancy said.

"Both of these are options. These diets work," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38528158/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Empty Re: Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol

Post  Gibson Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 am

I heard that this morning on the news. I think in practical terms for the individual the question may be what you can cut more easily. For me, I can't seem to cut carbs. Also both diets are low calorie, which is probably the biggest factor in diet's success. If you can truly exercise moderation, you can probably get away with eating anything.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Empty Re: Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 am

The reason why high-fat (low-carb) diets increase the "good" HDL-cholesterol is because it increases all fractions of cholesterol (total-cholesterol) including LDL and VLDL.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 am

wrong MISTERE

We hear that saturated fat increases cholesterol which then causes heart disease, etc, etc.
It's true if you look at US and the data that the more cholesterol there's a slightly higher risk of heart disease. It's not that drastic.
a cholesterol 170 vs 270, the difference isn't that difference in terms of cause heart disease,etc.

But the masai tribe eat nothing but high fat milk which is 10% butter fat milk (almost like half and half milk) about 3-4sticks of butter daily for one person! Yet no heart disease.
there's total cholesterol is only 125 ( yet lower than all vegetarians in the states)
But when the masai move into the city and get away from there very fatty diet there cholesterol actually goes up!

NOw to prove this guy way wrong
the average human being has an average of 5 liters of blood circulating through there system at all times. NOw a cholesterol reading of 200mg per deciliter (1/10 of a liter)now X that by 50. and that's how much cholesterol you have pumping through your system at any given time.
Now eating a couple hundred mg's of cholesterol or a nice big glass of milk or steak is only 1/50 the amount of cholesterol that's in your body. it has no freaking impact on cholesterol levels.
It CAN NOT BE manipulated by actually eating cholesterol rich foods.

Even ANCEL KEYS "fat causes heart disease", said that eating cholesterol will only raise cholesterol if your a monkey or rabbit, etc.
IN humans it doesn't work the same.

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 am

Prove it! You just made some enormous claims there, any studies to back them up? Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn has shown to reverse heart-disease with an extremely-low-fat vegan diet, not even nuts, seeds, olives, or avocadoes were allowed! Look at his results [1]:

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Cardio1

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Cardio3

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Cardio2

Low-carb diet beats low-fat on 'good' cholesterol Cardio4

[1] Resolving the Coronary Artery Disease Epidemic through Plant-Based Nutrition.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 am

misterE - What you fail to understand is that heart disease has NOTHING to do with animal fat, cholesterol, etc.

If you want clear arteries, you need to merely replace oxidized polyunsaturated fatty acids with unadulterated parental EFA's.

An unpublished study will be published soon, but the results are very clear. If one consumes approximately 1.7 grams or more of linoleic acid per day, it will be enough to replace the oxidized forms of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Notice I made no mention of saturated fat--it has nothing to do with heart disease. Animal products do contain Linoleic acid and Alpha Linoleic acid, which are sources of Omega-6 and Omega-3 respectively.

We need roughly twice as many parental, unadulterated omega-6 fats as parental, unadulterated omega-3 fats. So that would be LA and ALA.

I don't disagree with nuts and seeds as sources, because I have recommended them in the past. But not everyone is suited to eat grain. And if you didn't know, 90% of wheat is sprayed with mercury, which includes organic.

There's nothing wrong with meat, and your picture above proves absolutely nothing, except that he probably received enough of the correct parental (unadulterated) EFA's.

Most people do not consume much of any unadulterated, parental EFA's, but instead, oxidized, hydrogenated, trans-fat forms instead.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:53 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:

There's nothing wrong with meat, and your picture above proves absolutely nothing, except that he probably received enough of the correct parental (unadulterated) EFA's.

The only fat the patients were allowed to eat was the fats found in grains, legumes, fruit and vegetables, like I said above, no fatty-foods were allowed, not even nuts, seeds, olives or avocados. Vegetables, legumes and fruit have all the essential-fatty-acids you would ever need, just not in high amounts, which threaten insulin-sensitivity.

CausticSymmetry wrote:

Most people do not consume much of any unadulterated, parental EFA's, but instead, oxidized, hydrogenated, trans-fat forms instead.

Don't forget cooked-meats, which not only creates oxidized-fats and cholesterol but also heterocyclic amines, a known carcinogen.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 am

misterE - I saw that, didn't have time to edit it. A low fat like is bit extreme for some. A fast oxidizer would not do well on it.

By the way, I do not disagree that his diet works--I hope you are aware of that. I just disagree that avoiding fats is a good idea for most people, except for adulterated, processed fats.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:

I just disagree that avoiding fats is a good idea for most people, except for adulterated, processed fats.

But CS, you do know that humans can make all the saturated and monounsaturated-fat they would ever need, you do know this right? Saturated-fat and monounsaturated-fat are not essential or necessary to sustain life. Why would humans need to eat anything other than the essential-fatty-acids found in raw-vegetables, fruits, or leguems?
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

^or nuts and seeds.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:37 pm

i need b12, protein, heme iron, fat soluble vitamins all in easily digestible form.

vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds have to many anti nutrients and are really a waste of time.

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 pm

misterE - All the fruit you want to eat and ridiculously low fat? A lot of folks can't handle this type of eating--I'm one of those people. High triglycerides and glucose levels, positive proof that the "prudent" diet isn't for everyone.

My message isn't that every should eat high fat, low card, nor is it to eat low fat, high carb. It just depends on your metabolic type.

Polynesians were told to shun heart healthy coconut oil because the soybean oil industry wanted to corner the market with fake food. People bought the lie, only then did Polynesians health take a downward spiral.

CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm

CausticSymmetry wrote:misterE - All the fruit you want to eat and ridiculously low fat? A lot of folks can't handle this type of eating--I'm one of those people.

Probably because they are still insulin-resistant. Like I told you before, it is the fats and oils, which causes the "resistance" to carbs, not the carbs themselves… do you understand this concept?
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

By the way CS, you didn't answer my question 6-posts-up!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 am

CS, you do know that humans can make all the saturated and monounsaturated-fat they would ever need, you do know this right? Saturated-fat and monounsaturated-fat are not essential or necessary to sustain life. Why would humans need to eat anything other than the essential-fatty-acids found in raw-vegetables, fruits, or leguems?
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down