Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

stop minoxidil after long use

+9
Yanks
valderama
Johny Depp
MilBA
unfortunate
LA-Night
Paradox
Hoppipolla
kery
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 Empty Re: stop minoxidil after long use

Post  kery Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 am

Johny Depp wrote:Hi Kery,
Thanx fr ur response Smile ...
I am a 24 yr old and have just started to use minoxidil owing to a hair fall problem... I had heard frm guys arnd that after 5-7 years all hair that has come due to the use of minoxidil will fall out.... Is this true?.. Since i started using at 24... what can i expect 10 yrs down the line??

I know the fact that the regrowth would occur in the first 48 weeks and then would tend to plateau.. however how long can i still maintain the hair that has come??

Sry too many questions Smile... Would be quite helpful if you can reply...

Thanx.
the regrowth with minox it depend of each other and if you'll be a good responder to minox like i was. You will loose all the benefits of minox to the stop. The more results you'll have stronger the shedding will be what will probably happen if i stop minox.

kery

Back to top Go down

minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 Empty Re: stop minoxidil after long use

Post  Hoppipolla Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:26 am

Thing is, minoxidil is a nitric oxide agonist, vasodilator and potassium channel opener (apparently.. hehe). So basically it floods the follicles with nutrients and encourages their growth with nitric oxide. Problem is they get dependent on it. I think in combination with topical antiandrogens such as spiro/RU, fluridil, revivogen and systemic DHT-reducers such as equol and beta-sit, you get quite a thorough effect. Something like that is my backup Smile

It sucks that it inhibits collagen pathways and stuff, which is why you get wrinkles etc. There are probably ways to ease or counteract those effects. Personally I would probably not use minox without at least taking hyaluronic acid or GSE.

I don't see why the effects should wear off after years, as long as you keep supplying the follicles with the minoxidil. I'm not sure though.

An alternative approach is to simple REVIVE the follicles with minox, and then keep them alive with antiandrogens without using the minox for long. That's a possibility for me too Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi

Post  Johny Depp Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:17 am

Hi Kery,

I know that once you start using minox then it would be a mistake to stop it.
But i would like to know what was your situation after 10 years of usage?... And even now have all the benefits of minox subsided ??

Johny Depp

Back to top Go down

Post  valderama Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 am

i gave up minoxidil a year ago and have had no shed so far. My hair loss has dropped right down and i ve had some thickening.

valderama

Back to top Go down

minoxidil - stop minoxidil after long use - Page 2 Empty How long?

Post  Guest Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:52 am

How long have you been using it when you dropped it?

Back to top Go down

Post  valderama Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:13 am

about 10 years.

valderama

Back to top Go down

Post  kery Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 am

Johny Depp wrote:Hi Kery,

I know that once you start using minox then it would be a mistake to stop it.
But i would like to know what was your situation after 10 years of usage?... And even now have all the benefits of minox subsided ??
Hi Johny,
After 10 years i always had good results, in fact minox is the only prodcut that really work for me but very binding to use. I still use minox but a bit less effective than years ago may be due to anothers factors.

kery

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:51 am

I'm trying to understand the reason for hairs becoming minoxidil dependent, or why you lose so much after stopping. Some people say that even healthy hairs become dependent, but here's what I think...

By using minox you're forcing hair to grow in areas where it has stopped, or become weakened, due to things like fibrosis and calcification. Minox doesn't do anything to reverse these conditions. It just improves capillary circulation and opens potassium channels for the time of use. So when you stop, the conditions are still there (and those newly grown hairs undergo the same growth constraints they did previously) and if nothing has been done to stop further damage then some of the hairs that were healthy beforehand are now under the same constraints as the old unhealthy ones. So they begin falling too.

I don't know what kind of direct damage minox can cause to the follicle. I know people talk about that a lot, but has anything ever proved that it was in fact the minox, or its fillers, working to damage the follicle or did it just appear that way? If it's not causing any direct damage then by following IH's regimine, trying to figure out our particular health issues and causes of our loss, and trying to reverse the fibroisis and calcifications we already have, I think that those of us who are already on minox have a fighters chance at seeing the initial benefits of it, but some day coming off without having to undergo such a drastic shed.

Also, finding a substitute topical or 3 that can have the same effects, such as opening potassium channels, improving blood flow, and whatever else that minox does or what it may do, would definitely be beneficial.

I'm thinking of trying to introduce mag oil (although many claim poor absorption and no results) for K channels, plus cayenne (which I already use) for blood flow, and possibly being able to safely drop minox within a year or two.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:01 am

That's it! I decided that in the spring of 2012, if, and only if my hair hasn't declined, so in roughly 9 months (at that moment, that will be 1 year on the IH top 6 and my personal sups), I'm gonna stop the minoxidil, cold turkey.

To do that, I'll just shave my head during 3 to 9 months Smile, because I know the shedding will be inevitable... right? I've never seen someone get away with the minoxidil withdrawal so I don't see why I won't lose my "minox infested" hairs. I can get away with a shaved head, I even kinda like it, but I don't want to be forced to shave, and I want to keep my 5 o'clock shadow.

Even if I take a big risk by doing that, I just don't wanna be a slave of pharmaceuticals anymore, I don't feel free right now because of this stupid minox, putting it on my head for the rest of my life... I just can't do that.

I'll stop it only if my hair has stayed the same and improved a little in April 2012, otherwise I'll continue using it twice a week maybe.

CS, experts in here, do you think it's a good idea? or I should keep it up just to be sure?

Back to top Go down

Post  quality68 Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 pm

hi
sorry to say but if you are using any medicine for long time then its will definitely makes some side effects on you. Maybe this medication is not worth the trouble it is causing you. Clearly if you stop it, it goes away. Is there are real benefit worth the problems you are experiencing?

quality68

Back to top Go down

Post  jcreely Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:24 pm

kery wrote:Hi everyone,

First of all sorry for my english (i'm a french MPB), i'm 35 years old and i use minoxidil since age of 22, i must admit it worked for me for several years but less this last years.
I would really like stop this sh... cause of the side effects and economic reasons by a real (and not supposed) alternative that uses the same action but not by chemical way and without loosing the all benefits i had with minoxidil 5%, do you think it is possible ? is there anyone who tried with succes an alternative to minox ? Thanks

I have heard minoxidil cause is medical problems went too much is used. I would just be careful

jcreely

Back to top Go down

Post  theseeker86 Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Yanks wrote:Some people say that even healthy hairs become dependent

I can vouch for this.

I was stupid enough to start minox when i was 18, thinking at the time i had an issue with hairloss when i actually didn't and the stuff ate away at my hair line where i was applying it. When i first started i would get shedding and read on hair loss sites that this was normal but it became too much so i eventually quit after a few months and i never regained my hair line completely.

theseeker86

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Niacin, caffiene, l-carnitine, potassium chloride topical may be a decent replacement for minox in theory. I'd be interested to see if it worked for minox responders.

j87x

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2