Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Is fish bad for you. EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Is fish bad for you. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Is fish bad for you. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Is fish bad for you. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Is fish bad for you. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Is fish bad for you. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Is fish bad for you. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Is fish bad for you. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Is fish bad for you. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Is fish bad for you.

+9
mickey
johnt
Gibson
Yanks
misterE
LittleFighter
Hoppipolla
blackjack
Trace
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is fish bad for you. Empty Is fish bad for you.

Post  Trace Thu May 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Please give me recent studies that show wild fish like salmon and mahi tuna are bad for you. fish with gills to filter out all the junk.
Trace
Trace

Back to top Go down

Is fish bad for you. Empty Re: Is fish bad for you.

Post  blackjack Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 pm

vitalchoice.com best fish you can buy

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppipolla Fri May 28, 2010 1:12 am

I don't think fish is bad for you o.O

I think most people believe that most fish is astoundingly good for you unless it is full of toxins.. this is still something that I am learning about though Smile
Hoppipolla
Hoppipolla

http://www.hoppimike.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri May 28, 2010 2:32 am

Mercury in Fish? Don't worry about it!

http://www.immortalhair.org/apps/blog/show/2871209-mercury-in-fish-don-t-worry-about-it-

Quoting from Robert Ferguson: "In Japan, 87 percent of the population exceeds the EPA (mercury levels). In Hong Kong, Chinese children have mean mercury hair levels (almost twice those of the EPA limits). These children, like those of every high fish-consuming nation, seriously out perform U.S. children from grades 4-12 on international standardized tests for math and science. One key reason could be because they eat lots of fish!"

Ferguson said: "Study after study shows no adverse effects on children from maternal fish consumption as high as 12-14 meals per week. Only benefits have been reported, such as superior eyesight, higher child mental development scores, less hyperactivity, good heart and brain function and improved intelligence at 4 years of age."

In practice, selenium and mercury exist in different forms. Not all selenium forms might work for every form of Mercury. One should avoid man made Mercury compounds like the plague... the sources are many.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri May 28, 2010 6:24 am

Mercury in fish flesh sure doesn't help, also think about all the pollution in the sea, all the crude oil that has spilled out into the seas and all the garbage floating around out there!

The main problem with fish is the acidic-animal-protein. Once again, animal-protein decreases IGFBP: leaving "free" IGF-1 to float around in the serum. "Free" IGF-1 decreases SHBG, which causes an excess of testosterone to float around "free" in the blood stream (lowering your total testosterone levels). Only "free" testosterone can convert into estrogen or DHT. Once converted into estrogen or DHT, it is then bound to SHBG and transported to the SHBG-receptor located in the sebaceous glands. Once SHBG binds to its receptor it synthesizes IGF-1 within that tissue, as a result the sebaceous gland enlarges and produces excess sebum. The excess sebum then clog’s the hair follicle. A bacterium eats the sebum and the immune system picks up on this bacteria and tries to attack it. The way it attacks it is with an autoimmune response called inflammation. It is the inflammation that causes the hair to fall out, and it is the clogged pore, which prevents its regrowth.

Is fish bad for you. Nano-sebum-buildup
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 am

MisterE, so if what you're saying about SHBG is true then something like nettle root, which frees up testosterone by decreasing SHBG would actually increase estrogen and be bad for our hair?

And if we aim to increase testosterone as much as we can naturally while normalizing SHBG will we be able to build more muscle than we would have if we aimed to up free T? Because I always thought that bound T was basically rendered useless.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleFighter Fri May 28, 2010 7:50 am

If you want SCIENCE BACKED information on reducing sebum production (acne, dandruff) read Dr. Loren Cordain's book, the dietary cure for acne. It explains how IGF-1 can rise too much... NOT due to fat or protein, but due to grains, lectins and other things.
LittleFighter
LittleFighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Fri May 28, 2010 8:15 am

Yanks wrote:MisterE, so if what you're saying about SHBG is true then something like nettle root, which frees up testosterone by decreasing SHBG would actually increase estrogen and be bad for our hair?

And if we aim to increase testosterone as much as we can naturally while normalizing SHBG will we be able to build more muscle than we would have if we aimed to up free T? Because I always thought that bound T was basically rendered useless.

That's something I have been wondering about, as well. I am currently using Nettle Root extract and will continue because it has done wonders for my libido. But what's interesting is that since taking it, if I take Deer Antler Velvet (igf-1), or a potent aromatase inhibitor, my skin gets very oily, like I used to respond to such supps in my twenties. So I can see how lower SHBG can lead to more DHT. But for me, the shift seems to have been healthy--I just have to steer clear of things I used to take to boost androgens.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  johnt Fri May 28, 2010 1:04 pm

misterE wrote:Mercury in fish flesh sure doesn't help, also think about all the pollution in the sea, all the crude oil that has spilled out into the seas and all the garbage floating around out there!

The main problem with fish is the acidic-animal-protein. Once again, animal-protein decreases IGFBP: leaving "free" IGF-1 to float around in the serum. "Free" IGF-1 decreases SHBG, which causes an excess of testosterone to float around "free" in the blood stream (lowering your total testosterone levels). Only "free" testosterone can convert into estrogen or DHT. Once converted into estrogen or DHT, it is then bound to SHBG and transported to the SHBG-receptor located in the sebaceous glands. Once SHBG binds to its receptor it synthesizes IGF-1 within that tissue, as a result the sebaceous gland enlarges and produces excess sebum. The excess sebum then clog’s the hair follicle. A bacterium eats the sebum and the immune system picks up on this bacteria and tries to attack it. The way it attacks it is with an autoimmune response called inflammation. It is the inflammation that causes the hair to fall out, and it is the clogged pore, which prevents its regrowth.

Is fish bad for you. Nano-sebum-buildup

mister e: Is it only SHBG that has been bound with DHT or estrogen that binds to the SHBG receptor and then causes the excess sebum and inflammation, or does SHBG bound with testosterone also bind to the SHBG receptor and cause this issue too? Is your vegan type diet the primary method you use to ensure minimal levels of DHT and estrogen? Is there other key things that you would recommend beyond diet to accomplish this?

johnt

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Yanks wrote:MisterE, so if what you're saying about SHBG is true then something like nettle root, which frees up testosterone by decreasing SHBG would actually increase estrogen and be bad for our hair?

Nettle root displaces DHT from SHBG or in other words nettle root increases free-DHT, which is good… because only free-DHT can be excreted out of the body.

Lignans interfering with 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone binding to human sex hormone-binding globulin.Schöttner M, Spiteller G, Gansser D.
Lehrstuhl für organische Chemie, Universität Bayreuth, Germany.

The natural lignans (-)-3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran (1), (-)-matairesinol (2), (-)-secoisolariciresinol (3), (+/-)-enterolactone (4), (+/-)-enterodiol (5), and nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) (6) reduce the binding of 3H-labeled 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to human sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). (-)-3,4-Divanillyltetrahydrofuran (1) has the highest binding affinity (Ka = 3.2 +/- 1.7 x 10(6)M-1) of all lignans investigated so far; the reversibility of its binding and a double reciprocal plot suggest a competitive inhibition of the SHBG-DHT interaction. Increasing hydrophobity in the aliphatic part of the lignans (butane-1,4-diol-butanolide-tetrahydrofuran structures) leads to higher binding affinity. In the aromatic part, a 3-methoxy-4-hydroxy substitution pattern is most effective for binding to SHBG.

PMID: 9461660
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Fri May 28, 2010 2:02 pm

johnt wrote:
mister e: Is it only SHBG that has been bound with DHT or estrogen that binds to the SHBG receptor and then causes the excess sebum and inflammation, or does SHBG bound with testosterone also bind to the SHBG receptor and cause this issue too?

Testosterone is only active in muscles and I believe bone as well. So SHBG would bind testosterone to either muscle or bone tissues only. DHT and estrogen are active in other tissues such as the skin or brain.

johnt wrote:
Is your vegan type diet the primary method you use to ensure minimal levels of DHT and estrogen?

Yes the (low-fat/high-fiber) vegan diet is the best way to balance hormones; keeping IGF-1, estrogen and DHT low and SHBG-bound-testosterone high [1].

johnt wrote:
Is there other key things that you would recommend beyond diet to accomplish this?

Drink nothing but water, unsweet teas, and dark-red-wine and do intense cardiovascular exercises like running every day.

[1] Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor 1but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  Gibson Fri May 28, 2010 3:29 pm

misterE wrote:

Nettle root displaces DHT from SHBG or in other words nettle root increases free-DHT, which is good… because only free-DHT can be excreted out of the body.

Lignans interfering with 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone binding to human sex hormone-binding globulin.Schöttner M, Spiteller G, Gansser D.

The natural lignans (-)-3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran (1), (-)-matairesinol (2), (-)-secoisolariciresinol (3), (+/-)-enterolactone (4), (+/-)-enterodiol (5), and nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) (6) reduce the binding of 3H-labeled 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to human sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). (-)-3,4-Divanillyltetrahydrofuran (1) has the highest binding affinity (Ka = 3.2 +/- 1.7 x 10(6)M-1) of all lignans investigated so far; the reversibility of its binding and a double reciprocal plot suggest a competitive inhibition of the SHBG-DHT interaction. Increasing hydrophobity in the aliphatic part of the lignans (butane-1,4-diol-butanolide-tetrahydrofuran structures) leads to higher binding affinity. In the aromatic part, a 3-methoxy-4-hydroxy substitution pattern is most effective for binding to SHBG.

Thanks. I've found your posts to be quite helpful.

Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey Fri May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

misterE wrote:Mercury in fish flesh sure doesn't help, also think about all the pollution in the sea, all the crude oil that has spilled out into the seas and all the garbage floating around out there!
[
Mercury in the sea ? Again typical mainstream nonsense, isnt mercury natural element? Dont you think that the life in the sea and the oceans adapted to natural levels of mercury, lead or cadmium? The mass of water in oceans is so huge that there cant be higher levels of mercury from human activity except near the polluted river entries. If man wants to buy nonpolluted fish must look at FAO.
Crude oil? o my God Very Happy its actual ,isnt it? ti seems to me that you cant eat any vegies or fruits or grains from oil polluted fields, except those hoed by hand Very Happy

mickey

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 28, 2010 6:06 pm

I second mickey.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Trace Fri May 28, 2010 6:10 pm

What is FOA.
Trace
Trace

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

to xyztrace
FAO is fishing area. it should be mentioned on the package. http://www.fao.org/fishery/area/search/en

mickey

Back to top Go down

Post  albe Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 pm

misterE wrote:

So SHBG bound DHT is worse for our hair? Do you think high SHBG is good or bad for hair?

The observational studies I remember between balding and non-balding types showed two big hormonal differences: lower SHBG and lower testosterone for the balding group. DHT levels were roughly the same between groups. If balding really is due to hormonal differences caused by diet, as your hypothesis says, then how does this mesh with the hormonal studies between groups?

albe

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Sat May 29, 2010 2:07 am

misterE wrote:

So, regarding nettle root, is this true for estrogen as well? And I'm more worried about testosterone. I always thought free T was was useful to our muscles/bones/heart health etc.

Are you saying that if we free up T with nettle then it will be excreted or converted to DHT or estrogen (even though DHT will be excreted too so I assume levels wouldn't rise)?

Sorry, but I'm kinda confused here.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat May 29, 2010 3:44 am

A lot of this stuff posted by misterE is flat out wrong, related to SHBG, nettle, etc.

There is absolutely no evidence that nettle would lower SHBG in young men who have low SHBG levels.

It is highly unlikely for this to occur, because nettle is antihyperglycemic in action, meaning that it promotes better insulin levels.

These studies involve hypertrophic prostates, not a condition that is conducive to younger men.

Low SHBG is an iodine/thyroid or blood sugar problem. It is normalized with better diet or improved thyroid function.

For most men, SHBG is too high, not too low.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Sat May 29, 2010 4:43 am

albe wrote:

So SHBG bound DHT is worse for our hair? Do you think high SHBG is good or bad for hair?

Well, if you have high SHBG, you are going to have high SHBG-bound-testosterone, which cannot convert into DHT (or estrogen), which is exactly what you want. Nettle root is shown to increase free-DHT by displacing DHT from SHBG, thus lowering the total DHT level. Nettle doesn't lower SHBG… it just occupies it. But, as SHBG increases so does SHBG-bound-estradiol (which mimics the effects of DHT [1]) but estradiol (and other estrogens) has a low binding affinity to SHBG and can easily be displaced with foods rich in phytoestrogens, which are all plant-based foods.

albe wrote:

If balding really is due to hormonal differences caused by diet, as your hypothesis says, then how does this mesh with the hormonal studies between groups?

Eating large amounts of fat, animal-protein or consuming dairy products causes a massive increase in free-IGF-1, which then decreases SHBG [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7].

[1] Estradiol Activates the Prostate Androgen Receptor and Prostate-specific Antigen Secretion through the Intermediacy of Sex Hormone-binding Globulin.

[2] Diet and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin.

[3] Animal protein intake, serum insulin-like growth factor I, and growth in healthy 2.5-y-old Danish children.

[4] Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations.

[5] Are diet–prostate cancer associations mediated by the IGF axis? A cross-sectional analysis of diet, IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in healthy middle-aged men.

[6] Milk intake, circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I, and risk of colorectal cancer in men.

[7] Long-term low-protein, low-calorie diet and endurance exercise modulate metabolic factors associated with cancer risk.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Sat May 29, 2010 4:57 am

Yanks wrote:
So, regarding nettle root, is this true for estrogen as well? And I'm more worried about testosterone. I always thought free T was was useful to our muscles/bones/heart health etc.

Yes, the lignans in nettle root could displace estrogen from SHBG, but I haven't seen evidence of this, I've only seen evidence that nettle root displaces DHT from SHBG, thus increasing its metabolic clearance.

Free-testosterone is a prohormone; a hormone that is used by the body to create other hormones. SHBG role in the body is to bind testosterone and transport it to the SHBG-receptor, keeping it safe from converting away and keeping it from being excreted from the body in the urine or feces. Anything that increases free-testosterone is going to lower the total amount of testosterone (SHBG-bound-testosterone). So you want to have free-DHT and free-estrogen (because these will be excreted) but you want your testosterone to be safely bound to SHBG, that way it doesn't get converted or excreted. The best way to do that is with a low-fat/high-fiber carbohydrate based vegan diet, because vegans are shown to have much higher SHBG-bound-testosterone compared to omnivores [1].

[1] Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men.
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 am

The main problem with fish is the acidic-animal-protein. Once again, animal-protein decreases IGFBP: leaving "free" IGF-1 to float around in the serum. "Free" IGF-1 decreases SHBG

I eat 1lb of beef a day, 7 eggs a day, 1 glass of raw milk, my SHBG has been increasing.

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  blackjack Sat May 29, 2010 4:59 am

my igf1, igfbp, DHT leves are near perect also

blackjack

Back to top Go down

Post  misterE Sat May 29, 2010 5:04 am

CausticSymmetry wrote:

For most men, SHBG is too high, not too low.

Really? I thought insulin and IGF-1 lowered SHBG, not increase it!
misterE
misterE

Back to top Go down

Post  mickey Sat May 29, 2010 5:10 am

May be you are not human blackjack and me too Very Happy My SHGB levels are higher too after my high meat and high fat diet so Free T, DHT is lower, estradiol lower too. Cholesterol in normal levels despite I eat many butter and eggs.

mickey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next