Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyToday at 12:43 am by MikeGore

» zombie cells
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice.

3 posters

Go down

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. Empty Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice.

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat May 22, 2010 7:03 am

Pharmacopsychiatry. 2010 May 18.

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice.
Römer B, Pfeiffer N, Lewicka S, Ben-Abdallah N, Vogt MA, Deuschle M, Vollmayr B, Gass P.

RG Behavioural Biology, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany.

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: The 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride is used for the treatment of androgenic alopecia, benign prostate hyperplasia and prostate cancer. Besides inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to the biologically more active 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, it also inhibits the production of neurosteroids. Decreased neurosteroid levels are postulated to be involved in the pathophysiology of psychiatric disorders such as depression. As neurosteroids metabolized by 5-alpha-reductase influence neural plasticity, we investigated whether finasteride treatment alters adult hippocampal neurogenesis, implicated in the pathophysiology of depression. METHODS: Male C57BL/6N mice were treated subchronically (7 days) with finasteride or vehicle. Adult neurogenesis was assessed at two different time points after treatment (day 1; day 35) using immunohistochemistry. RESULTS: Finasteride treatment led to a significant decrease in brain 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone levels and induced a reversible reduction in the number of newborn cells and young neurons in the hippocampus. 35 days after the last finasteride injection, neurogenesis had returned to normal. DISCUSSION: These data indicate that inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase activity by finasteride treatment influences neuronal plasticity on a structural level. These changes might contribute to the pathophysiology of depressive episodes observed after finasteride treatment. ©️ Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. Empty Re: Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice.

Post  Guest Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 am

scary stuff

Back to top Go down

Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice. Empty Re: Finasteride Treatment Inhibits Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis in Male Mice.

Post  hdawn Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 am

beyond scary

hdawn

Back to top Go down

Post  crincrin Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm

hippocampus => Papez Circuit => memory

crincrin

Back to top Go down

Post  hdawn Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Yes, that's why I say this is so scary. I started Fin young and was on for 12 years. My memory and attention span have significantly worsened over the last 3-5 years. I never suspected Fin until I started getting brain fog as well. I am now off the drug and (hopefully) starting a long recovery process. I've talked to a few friends who are also long-term users (10+ years - there are not many of us) and each of them also has had pretty significant memory issues in the last few years - none of them even considered that Fin was playing a role because it's not an "official" side effect (and one is a doctor).

hdawn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down