Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Topical Melatonin?
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyYesterday at 1:10 pm by shaftless

» Probiotics
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyYesterday at 7:25 am by CF

» Vaccine Science and Myth
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 6:48 am by CausticSymmetry

» HMI-115: A Prolactin Receptor Antagonistic Antibody
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptySun May 26, 2024 10:50 am by CausticSymmetry

» oral thrush candida
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyFri May 24, 2024 1:02 pm by shaftless

» Does hair follicles taken in hair transplants donor area grow back?
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:40 pm by MikeGore

» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyThu May 23, 2024 10:38 pm by MikeGore

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptyWed May 22, 2024 4:56 am by JtheDreamer

» zombie cells
Cooking with aluminum foil EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Cooking with aluminum foil

+3
Paradox
sdguy
Yanks
7 posters

Go down

Cooking with aluminum foil Empty Cooking with aluminum foil

Post  Yanks Thu May 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Could this cause aluminum build up in your body? I use it for wild alaskan salmon when baking or grilling. I'll only allow the side with the skin to touch the foil. I've avoided using foil for chicken or beef because it doersn't have the skin as a buffer. If the meat could absorb the aluminum would the skin on the salmon protect it? What does everyone think about this?
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Cooking with aluminum foil Empty Re: Cooking with aluminum foil

Post  sdguy Thu May 20, 2010 1:45 pm

This never even occurred to me, thx for posting. Will have to switch to wax paper when cooking fish.

sdguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it can. I used to put vegetables in foil with oil and grill them. I just use oil or spray to grease pans and there's no need for foil really.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanks Fri May 21, 2010 2:44 am

Yea I would assume that it would leach, but I just wonder if the skin on the salmon creates an efficient enough barrier to block it out. It just makes clean up so much easier when it comes to fish especially.

What kind of oil do you use? I avoid cooking with olive becase it's unstable at high temps. I would cook with coconut or palm, but I just don't find it necessary most of the time. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking. I go for the most healthy without really caring about taste. I do love some good tasting food though.
Yanks
Yanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 am

Yanks,

I agree that olive oil is unhealthy, so I don't fry anything with it. I will use a little to grease a pan when broiling fish though. I don't like to use the sprays so I'll just dip a paper towel in some and rub it on. You could do the same with coconut oil I suppose, but you may have to heat it first. I'll bake fish or chicken in butter sometimes too.

Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 am

I've wondered also about aluminium foil and haven't heard it discussed before. I've never seen any research on it.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  ubraj Fri May 21, 2010 10:30 am

Here is a list of aluminum cookware that's leached in food

http://cookware.mercola.com/cookware.aspx

If you do use aluminum cookware or aluminum foil, avoid aspartame like the plague at same meal.

ubraj

Back to top Go down

Post  imprisoned-radical Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:49 am

Abstract
Objectives/Goals
Aluminum has recently been implicated in neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's Disease. The objective of my project was to find whether a substantial amount of aluminum dissolves when aluminum foil comes in contact with acidic foods. My hypothesis was that aluminum does leach out of the foil.

Methods/Materials
Three common acidic ingredients, vinegar, lemon juice and ketchup, were tested on aluminum foil. Strips of aluminum foil were kept in contact with the acidic material in a kitchen tray at room temperature and at 50^o C for various time intervals. Samples were taken out of the tray and mixed with Aluver3 reagent, which gives a red color in presence of aluminum. The intensity of the color was measured in a spectrophotometer. Using the "Standard Curve" technique, the concentration of aluminum in each sample was determined.

Results
My results showed that under my experimental conditions, up to 25 ppm of aluminum leached out when vinegar was used for 60 min at 50^o C. Little aluminum was detected when ketchup was used. Leaching in case of lemon juice was moderate (max 14.4 ppm). Heating definitely increased the rate of dissolution. At room temperature, the rate of leaching was modest.

Conclusions/Discussion
Collectively, the results show that aluminum does dissolve in acidic foods and heating accelerates the process of dissolution. Therefore, precautions must be taken when acidic foods are cooked in aluminum foil, pots, pans and utensils. Ingestion of dissolved aluminum could lead to brain disorders.

I've been thinking about this too. One option is just to put the food on top of a layer of lettuce or something, which you can discard afterward. I think this would prevent the leached aluminum from absorbing into the food.

imprisoned-radical

Back to top Go down

Post  Quisque Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:55 pm

sdguy wrote:This never even occurred to me, thx for posting. Will have to switch to wax paper when cooking fish.

Stay away from quinolone-coated ones, it could be problematic as well (chromium).

I'd go for silicone-coated papaer.

Quisque

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down