Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Kelp and Arsenic EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Kelp and Arsenic EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Kelp and Arsenic EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Kelp and Arsenic

+3
Silverlin
CausticSymmetry
baller234
7 posters

Go down

Kelp and Arsenic Empty Kelp and Arsenic

Post  baller234 Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070406140955.htm

Perhaps kelp supplements are such a great source of iodine? Would idoral be safer?

baller234

Back to top Go down

Kelp and Arsenic Empty Re: Kelp and Arsenic

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 pm

baller234 - Yes, Lugols (or tablet form, Iodoral) is much safer, or Iosol.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Silverlin Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:21 pm

baller234 - Natural levels of organic arsenic in kelp is harmless, just as organic mercury is in fish. Though as with anything, I'd buy kelp organically certified. Organically certified kelp will always be safer then lugols or any isolate form of iodine.

Check out his thread

https://immortalhair.forumotion.com/natural-hair-regrowth-forum-f1/kelp-vs-lugol-s-t1439.htm
Silverlin
Silverlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59 am

Iodine sourced from the ocean is far superiour, i heard some wise people say that the mineral makeup of the human blood is very similar to the ocean. Not surprsing, since we offspring from the sea. For this reason, sea vegetables is some of the most healthy things to eat for a human.

Different kelps accumlate arsenic differently, and some more and other sless. Kombu does not accumulate very much.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 am

A pretty good arsenic study on different kelps.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/arsenicseaweed.pdf

All 7 kombu (4 japan, 1 us, 1 korea, 1 unknown) cases tested negative for in-organic arsenic except for almost undetectable miniscule amounts. Hijiki is a different story, and is not something i would eat frequently.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  baller234 Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:47 am

Awesome thanks for the responses. I'm using the Vitamin Shoppe brand which is listed as Nereocystis leutkeana (thallus). Is anyone familiar with this form of kelp?

baller234

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:18 am

If arsenic is found in a kelp supplement, the amount present would be low enough to not pose a threat?
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 am

baller234,

Iodine supplementation is like peeling away layers of an onion in my opinion. Low doses of Iodine will peel away the outer layer of the onion while larger doses are used to peel away the inner layer. Everyone is different regarding Iodine supplementation but that's my experience.

Either way, one of the Iodine docs mentioned that results weren't noticed until dose was increased to 6.25 as a minimum. Larger doses may be needed for a few as well if they have a defective iodine transport system but Vitamin C supplementation will work as well ... I never noticed the great benefits till I got to 50 mg.

Also, larger doses needed for the halogens that have a heavy weight such as flouride

“Iodine IN SUFFICIENT DOSES will displace undesirable halogens…

J.C. Jarvis, M.D. (Folk Medicine, Henry Holt & Co., 1958, HB, p. 136), wrote:

“The clinical activity of any one of these four halogens is in inverse proportion to its atomic weight. This means that any one of the four can displace the element with a higher atomic weight, but cannot displace an element with a lower atomic weight. For example, flourine can displace chlorine, bromine and Iodine because flourine has a lower atomic weight than the other three. Similarly, chlorine can displace bromine and iodine because they both have a higher atomic weight. Likewise, bromine can displace iodine from the body because iodine has a higher atomic weight. But a reverse order is not possible. A knowledge of this well-known chemical law brings us to a consideration of the addition of chlorine to our drinking water as a purifying agent. We secure a drinking water that is harmful to the body not because of its harmful germ content but because the chlorine content now causes the body to lose the much-needed iodine…”

BTW, Jarvis was wrong on a key point. A reverse order IS possible…iodine, in sufficient doses WILL elevate the excretion of bromide, for instance. voila! brown pee”

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1556883#i

Also, one person on curezone calculated that 100 mg of total Iodine or Iodide needed for average person to keep halogens at bay for those living in the US. For those living in other countries would require less as their exposure is less. Although, in the US the EPA is now starting lower our exposure gradually.

hope this helps
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  kijumn Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:39 am

goten574 wrote:If arsenic is found in a kelp supplement, the amount present would be low enough to not pose a threat?

goten574,

Silverlin brings up a good point regarding organic arsenic.

Here is a good link

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=657

Personally, my vote is to follow the Iodine docs. Until they start using Iosol or Kelp or Kombu, etc. I'll stick with Lugol's as the standard with everything else being experimental.
kijumn
kijumn

Back to top Go down

Post  goten574 Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:46 am

jdp710 wrote:
goten574 wrote:If arsenic is found in a kelp supplement, the amount present would be low enough to not pose a threat?

goten574,

Silverlin brings up a good point regarding organic arsenic.

Here is a good link

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=657

Personally, my vote is to follow the Iodine docs. Until they start using Iosol or Kelp or Kombu, etc. I'll stick with Lugol's as the standard with everything else being experimental.

I ask because I have a Kelp supplement at home, almost untouched. I don't want to spend more money on supplements so if it may be unsafe to take this Kelp supplement, I guess I will just go without.
goten574
goten574

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm stocking up on kombu! when ssomething gets banned by the government and it is not a drug that has already killed hundreds, you know it is probably a good thing.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:24 am

North-Europe wrote:I'm stocking up on kombu! when ssomething gets banned by the government and it is not a drug that has already killed hundreds, you know it is probably a good thing.

You're probably right!

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  europe Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 pm

North europe - How much kombu do you take daily or in a couple days ?

like one big and long kombu that you cook with brown rice ?

My second question was, how do you prepare it ? with rice, lens, quinoa, chick peas ?
that will force us to eat grains ... ;-) i truly believe that reasonnable non gluten grains are good, even respect to insulin resistance. fibers in whole grains contains insulin resistance.
and don't forget to soak your grains, guys.
Perhaps you jus "boil" them as if you wanna make a soup ? and can eat them every day with meals...

any coocking feedback maestros ?
europe
europe

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:04 am

europe, if i recall correctly 5 gr of kombu is about 7 mg iodine .. i just boil it for 10 mins.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  europe Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 am

You're right ;

If you are on a low-sodium diet, or otherwise prefer to avoid iodized salt, a small daily iodine supplement is a good idea. Sea vegetables such as kombu or hijiki can serve as alternative iodine sources, but it is easy to get too much iodine from some sea vegetables. (Table 2 provides information about the iodine content of some sea vegetables.) To put this in perspective, a serving of kombu (a piece approximately 5 inches long) weighing the same as a nickel (approximately 5 grams) can be expected to deliver 7,270 micrograms of iodine, 12 much more than is considered safe for long-term use. Just as too little iodine can cause health problems, so too can excessive iodine. Routine ingestion of excessive iodine may contribute to hypothyroidism, goiter, or thyroid papillary cancer. For iodine, the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL), the highest level of daily intake that is considered to be safe, is set at 1,100 micrograms per day for adults, with lower amounts for children and teens (Table 1). Hypothyroidism in newborn and nursing infants in Japan has been linked to their mothers' consumption of seaweed containing from 2,300 to 3,200 micrograms iodine per day.

5 inches is about 12,7 cm which is nothing when it comes to a real kombu ( 40 - 60 cm )
I eat that long for few days....and take iosol....

Well, now, i know where my headaches are coming from...

Do you think those numbers are staed from fresh kombu, or dried one ( both forms can be bought) . I believe it's dried one, which would contain far more iodine...
europe
europe

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:23 am

I think the body can better handle organic iodine, instead of in-organic elemental iodine from lugol's .. but of course, it is possible to get too much of a good thing.

My hair is doing pretty good for awhile now, if yours are also we must be doing something right.

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down