Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Increasing testosterone? EmptyToday at 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Increasing testosterone? EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Increasing testosterone? EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Increasing testosterone? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Increasing testosterone? EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Increasing testosterone? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Increasing testosterone? EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Increasing testosterone? EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Increasing testosterone? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Increasing testosterone?

+3
lund
CausticSymmetry
ataman
7 posters

Go down

Increasing testosterone? Empty Increasing testosterone?

Post  ataman Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 am

Despite having taken an interest in this forum for a few months now, there is something fundamental about hair loss that I'm still not clear about.

The question is, is increasing testosterone a good or bad thing? Assuming no treatments were being used to combat hair loss, my basic assumption would be that more testosterone = more conversion to DHT = more hairloss.

...but it seems much more complex than that. Some things which increase T are supposed to be good (e.g ashwagandha, rhodiola), whilst I've read others seem to cause some hairloss (e.g. Tribulus Terrestris, or numerous other natural testosterone boosters used by guys trying to bulk up).

Can anyone give me an answer on this? I ask because for various reasons I think I would benefit from a bit of extra T...but clearly also don't want my hair to fall out.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Increasing testosterone? Empty Re: Increasing testosterone?

Post  CausticSymmetry Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 am

ataman - This is a great question, because all over hair loss forums a lot of complexity is often over simplified. It definitely is a lot more complex than more testosterone equals more DHT.

Typically most men start to lose hair at around 30, not the their late teens where their T levels are at their peak, so something else is at work here.

Poor glucose metabolism or rather how your body metabolizes blood sugar can influence DHT levels. Having more testosterone improves glucose metabolism and having lower testosterone allows glucose metabolism to become worse.

Impaired glucose tolerance or even a tendency towards insulin resistance, a condition that worsens with drops in testosterone makes DHT much worse. It also makes the inflammation associated with DHT triggering much worse.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Where are you drawing the link from that Ashwaghandha and Rhodiola increase T?

These are both adaptogens and work at improving overall well being. These both work to enhance dopamine in the CNS and hence you feel good and hence you get sexual as well (cause and effect). Ppl think more sex = more T, it is not always the case, there are other ways to be more active and one such source is dopamine.

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  Glacier Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

lund - I have the same opinion regarding those two supplements. It's essentially masturbation through pills, it's a very common misconception, I don't think human body is that simple, you take a pill and bam, there goes the T levels, unless ofocurse you start taking Test. itself. It takes times to create an optimal environment, a lot of people lose patience.

To the original poster : Try weight-lifting, squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, compound exercises with increasing weight, have a clean diet and see how your Test levels go up. Give up masturbation, this can do wonders to amplify the effect.

Glacier

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:52 am

More T (right form) in your body may increase your desire / interest in sexual activities, but that is not the ONLY holy grail for getting more interest in sex. The sexual chemistry is much more than "T" alone. And dopamine plays a critical role.

It has been stated that everything we do is based on a reward system - things we like, we only like because the brain rewards us with dopamine release. Even sex makes you feel good as we are wired to receive plenty of dopamine during the act itself and at release. There would be other chemicals involved, but the key is dopamine.

Most of the drugs, gambling, sex, eating, - anything that we desire is linked to the reward system which in turn releases dopamine and we feel good.

Researchers took a sexually active male rate and wired the brain such that by hitting a lever dopamine would be released immediately in the rats brain. Now this rat was put up with plump females, good food, etc. Guess what, the rat kept hitting that lever all day long w/o taking any interest in food or the other receptive females. As soon as he was de-wired, he stopped hitting the lever in very short time and went after the food and the females...

I read this research somewhere, will post if I find the link.

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  lund Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:59 am

Read this link and the other on the subject at this web site, good reads with easy to understand terms:

Your Brain On Sex

Why does a lover pull away after sex

lund

Back to top Go down

Post  ataman Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 am

CS - Thanks for that. I'm inclined to think that my glucose metabolism is OK (I'm the wrong side of 35 and still pretty skinny / no beer gut!)...so think I should maybe stay away from the testosterone boosters for now.

lund - Yes, I know they're adaptogens and have used them on and off for a while now. I especially like Rhodiola, makes you feel good, and near invincible at the gym. As regards testosterone, I've read that Ashwagandha has a 'testosterone-like effect' in that it increases rat testicular weight/spermatogenesis etc. Some websites say it increses T in humans but I don't think this has been studied. Rhodiola - When I first looked into this I definitely saw data saying it increased T...but having just scoured google for 10 minutes, I can now see no sign of it (other than numerous positive reviews) Smile

Re. dopamine...yes, definite effect on libido. I sometimes take SAM-e during the winter months and definitely feel more charged shall we say.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Increasing testosterone? Empty Rhodiola

Post  DanielJennings2 Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:24 am

I can tell you that I've had sexual benefits from Rhodiola rosea, which I DID NOT BUY FOR THAT PURPOSE. It was an "added bonus," which came on top of the fact that I bought the product for stress reduction, and sure enough I got that as well. I had to try seven different brands, however. I tried Jarrow (bad), New Chapter (better, not much), one which was black gunk in a capsule (Gaia, ugh!), and one from Sweden (Arctic Root) and one from Verde Botanica. I got the best results out of the Verde Botanica, called MIND BODY & SPIRIT. However, something I'll note here . . . I noticed that when I was buying $8 and $12 Rhodiola, I got nothing, just a tiny bit of response and I just wanted more, so I'd try another brand. It wasn't until I was spending like $20 on a box that I got the big time results. So, I think this is an herb that is not quality controlled very well -- I think the cheap stuff just doesn't have much of what you want in it. But -- back to the subject, Rhodiola does not give you an erection, that's up to you. It only gives you more desire. But that's a considerable benefit at times. Good luck!

DanielJennings2

Back to top Go down

Post  thSman Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 am

On increasing test,
What do you guys think of this product :
http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/product.php/352/diesel_test_hardcore.

IT seems to contain a number of products that are deemed 'safe' ZMA,MACA & Rhodiola Rosea.Does contain Trib aswell though

thSman

Back to top Go down

Post  Petch Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:19 am

Dr Wong is not a great source imo.
Petch
Petch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down