Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
prolactin may be to blame as well EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

prolactin may be to blame as well

+4
iuyyighghghgkh
Changexpert
sanderson
shaftless
8 posters

Go down

prolactin may be to blame as well Empty prolactin may be to blame as well

Post  shaftless Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:03 am

Prolactin is a hormone secreted by our pituitary gland. It increases with age and affects us in many ways. Some studies suggest it can be responsible for some kinds of hairloss in both men and women since it fools with our estrogen levels.

One way of reducing prolactin is by increasing dopamine levels. How can we increase dopamine without drugs? We can supplement with tyrosine since it is a precursor to dopamine but is that enuff? Just because we have ample precursor molecules does that mean that there will be more end-result dopamine in our system?

shaftless

Back to top Go down

prolactin may be to blame as well Empty Re: prolactin may be to blame as well

Post  sanderson Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 am

i'm working on something similar. i got blood work done and my vitamin D was low as fuck. it was like 27 and the range starts at 25. i started dosing up vitamin D in order to make sure i'm getting proper calcium absorption. i got it up to 44 from my last blood test. i'm still doing like 10k IU's a day minimum. then, i'm doing large calcium dosages using egg shell calcium along with milk to increase calcium to lower prolactin. working to get at least 2:1 calcium to phosphate in the diet.

check it...

The effect of calcium (Ca) infusions on serum prolactin (Prl) was studied in normal controls and children with disorders of Ca metabolism: Three patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism (vitamin D deficiency rickets), 2 children with idiopathic hypoparathyroidism, 13 epileptic patients with anticonvulsant drug induced inhibition of calcitonin (CT) secretion and 1 patient with vitamin D resistant rickets with normal CP and low PTH secretion. Ca induced a significant decline of serum Prl in most subjects which could not be explained by the associated increase of CT or decrease of iPTH. The important role of Ca for the in vitro secretion of dopamine has been established for a long time. It is speculated that the inhibitory effect of Ca infusion or serum Prl may be due to dopamine release from nerve tracts in the hypothalamus.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7293666

i heard down the grape vine that calcium, sodium, increasing thyroid function, and light exposure can lower prolactin.

i got blood work done like a month and a half ago.. mine was at 13.9.. managed to get it down to 13.0 last week. i'm pissed and need to decrease it a lot as well. i'm working to get mine below 7.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am

shaftless wrote:Prolactin is a hormone secreted by our pituitary gland. It increases with age and affects us in many ways. Some studies suggest it can be responsible for some kinds of hairloss in both men and women since it fools with our estrogen levels.
Does prolactin increase E or decrease E level?

Ways to increase dopamine level - tyrosine, L-Dopa, P5P (be careful as this also increases serotonin)
Ways to increase dopamine receptor sensitivity - nofap

Fapping also causes rise in prolactin level. What are other options to decrease prolactin level? I vaguely remember inhibiting prolactin precursor is a better option than inhibiting prolactin itself. Someone who is more knowledgeable in this topic would be able to help us out.
Changexpert
Changexpert

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:56 am

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:35 am

Too much prolactin decreases T level in male and E level in female. So this makes a lot of sense why prolactin causes hair loss from sex hormone perspective.
http://www.hormone.org/patient-guides/2011/hyperprolactinemia
Changexpert
Changexpert

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:17 am

Interestingly, women secrete prolactin from tears, and they cry an estimated 47 times per year, whereas guys tend to cry on average 7 times. Maybe we need to cry all that prolactin out lol

To update you on my situation, inflammation has returned with an absolute vengeance (but only in my vertex) and the hair is falling out rapidly. I'm pretty much fucked at this point.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:27 am

Xenon wrote:Interestingly, women secrete prolactin from tears, and they cry an estimated 47 times per year, whereas guys tend to cry on average 7 times. Maybe we need to cry all that prolactin out lol

To update you on my situation, inflammation has returned with an absolute vengeance (but only in my vertex) and the hair is falling out rapidly. I'm pretty much fucked at this point.

why not get the roddy recommended blood results just to see where you are at? prolactin, vitamin D, tsh, parathyroid, a couple of others. i guarantee you your prolactin is high. mine is ridiculous. 13, peat recommends something like 4-7. not only that, my vitamin D was very low, not allowing calcium to be abosorbed, to even lower that number.

you know, the reason i decided to try peat.. and we will see if it is successful, btw. shedding has not 100% stopped, however, my temp is now consistently 98.6+ and itching is gone so I'm hoping something is going to happen here soon or I am in the same boat as you.

so anyway, i got into it because this girl i met at the bar came over to my house and she was shedding like crazy. like honestly, her hair was like all over the place. we didn't talk about, but she did tell me she was a vegetarian and she gets hardly no calcium at all. and she's looking for ways to get calcium. as soon as she said that, i thought holy shit, that is exactly what peat says, no calcium is absolutely horrible. that's when i realized, my hair fall started when i went on a really high phosphorus diet and very much lower calcium.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  iuyyighghghgkh Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:57 am

seems connected to depression and dopamine too

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/How_To_Lower_Prolactin.aspx

iuyyighghghgkh

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:04 am

I've never had bloods done, Sanderson, but it's something I am considering looking into, although I don't know if it will help in my battle against baldness. TBH with you I'm a person that doesn't learn so well from experience; I went back on the low carb diet (no carb in fact) a short while ago, and that's when my inflammatory problems started to return. It's very bizarre, whenever I low carb it is only the vertex that starts to inflame and shed hair. I got my temple inflammation under control by cutting out hot drinks, as they were causing my temples to burn up, and all was going well, until i fucked it up with that dumb ass low carb diet. Now I have a nasty bald patch forming in the vertex area. Roddy / Peat believe that this is caused by high levels of lactic acid. I have no idea why this only affects the vertex, though. The human body is a total mind fuck.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Changexpert Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:39 am

sanderson wrote: that's when i realized, my hair fall started when i went on a really high phosphorus diet and very much lower calcium.
This may be a very valid point. My hair loss has worsened over the past year since stopping dairies altogether. My food sensitivity revealed that I should not be drinking milk or dairy. I think I am mildly lactose intolerant. I need a different way to consume calcium from food source, not from supplement. Any recommendations?
Changexpert
Changexpert

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 am

Changexpert wrote:
sanderson wrote: that's when i realized, my hair fall started when i went on a really high phosphorus diet and very much lower calcium.
This may be a very valid point. My hair loss has worsened over the past year since stopping dairies altogether. My food sensitivity revealed that I should not be drinking milk or dairy. I think I am mildly lactose intolerant. I need a different way to consume calcium from food source, not from supplement. Any recommendations?

egg shells. i think kale might have calcium as well. you have to eat a lot though to get it. i guarantee most people don't get it if they aren't tracking it and avoiding dairy.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 am

Xenon wrote:I've never had bloods done, Sanderson, but it's something I am considering looking into, although I don't know if it will help in my battle against baldness. TBH with you I'm a person that doesn't learn so well from experience; I went back on the low carb diet (no carb in fact) a short while ago, and that's when my inflammatory problems started to return. It's very bizarre, whenever I low carb it is only the vertex that starts to inflame and shed hair. I got my temple inflammation under control by cutting out hot drinks, as they were causing my temples to burn up, and all was going well, until i fucked it up with that dumb ass low carb diet. Now I have a nasty bald patch forming in the vertex area. Roddy / Peat believe that this is caused by high levels of lactic acid. I have no idea why this only affects the vertex, though. The human body is a total mind fuck.

are you getting enough calcium? it could just be the calcium thing that is fucking you up to. seriously man, as soon as i started doing high calcium, my temperature went up. i was doing 1/2 teaspoon of egg shell with every drink i had.

regarding blood work, if your vit D is low, then calcium is not being absorbed as well, thus your prolactin will be higher because calcium offsets prolactin. prolactin plays a part in hair loss in that if it's higher, hair loss seems to be more prevalent. just a thought, thought you might get some interesting info from it. b
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  bov51 Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:37 am

I get about 2-3grams of calcium a day, the majority comes from eggshell. I never check my prolactin level but i will soon.

bov51

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:09 am

sanderson wrote:
Xenon wrote:I've never had bloods done, Sanderson, but it's something I am considering looking into, although I don't know if it will help in my battle against baldness. TBH with you I'm a person that doesn't learn so well from experience; I went back on the low carb diet (no carb in fact) a short while ago, and that's when my inflammatory problems started to return. It's very bizarre, whenever I low carb it is only the vertex that starts to inflame and shed hair. I got my temple inflammation under control by cutting out hot drinks, as they were causing my temples to burn up, and all was going well, until i fucked it up with that dumb ass low carb diet. Now I have a nasty bald patch forming in the vertex area. Roddy / Peat believe that this is caused by high levels of lactic acid. I have no idea why this only affects the vertex, though. The human body is a total mind fuck.

are you getting enough calcium? it could just be the calcium thing that is fucking you up to. seriously man, as soon as i started doing high calcium, my temperature went up. i was doing 1/2 teaspoon of egg shell with every drink i had.

regarding blood work, if your vit D is low, then calcium is not being absorbed as well, thus your prolactin will be higher because calcium offsets prolactin. prolactin plays a part in hair loss in that if it's higher, hair loss seems to be more prevalent. just a thought, thought you might get some interesting info from it. b

Well, I did completely cut out calcium because I stopped drinking milk, whereas previously I drank milk in black tea everyday for years. Calcium also acts as an acid buffer, so during my ketodiet (mainly pork and chicken) my acid levels have obviously elevated far too high, which would probably explain my out of control inflammation, in addition to severe heartburn / acid indigestion. It's interesting, today (since returning back to carbohydrates, inc milk), that my scalp inflammation and acid indigestion has completely vanished.

Thanks for reminding me of the calcium / vit D connection, I just didn't expect things to get so bad, so fast. The acid indigestion was painful as hell, esp when I was in bed.

Memo to self (and anyone else): keep the fuck away from ketodiets!
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbo Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:44 am

I was wondering if I needed more or less calcium so decided to get a few tests done; my calcium balance is out of whack (didn't surprise me; I got exostosis and salivary stones from just 1,000iu of vit D supplementation a day)

I may ultimately need more calcium BUT not until I've got calcium metabolism stoked properly (balancing vit A, mag, k2, sunlight etc.) ... throwing calcium into a system where the calcium metabolism isn't functioning properly is asking for trouble (and with hair loss you risk speeding up the "ivory dome" calcification issues). Peat/Roddy method seem too prescriptive and not taking into context each individual case imo

This is quite an interesting conversation on Peat, check out the comments

https://www.facebook.com/DoctorAsTeacher/posts/10206407698645154
Columbo
Columbo

Back to top Go down

Post  4039 Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:07 am

Columbo wrote:I was wondering if I needed more or less calcium so decided to get a few tests done; my calcium balance is out of whack (didn't surprise me; I got exostosis and salivary stones from just 1,000iu of vit D supplementation a day)

I may ultimately need more calcium BUT not until I've got calcium metabolism stoked properly (balancing vit A, mag, k2, sunlight etc.) ... throwing calcium into a system where the calcium metabolism isn't functioning properly is asking for trouble (and with hair loss you risk speeding up the "ivory dome" calcification issues). Peat/Roddy method seem too prescriptive and not taking into context each individual case imo

This is a really good post and I would like to further extrapolate.

Yes, improving proper calcium metabolism is the most important thing you can do health-wise. However without other mitigating factors in place calcium does becomes a dirty word.

Are you getting enough K2/D3/A, magnesium, sulfur and trace elements like silica, iodine and aminos like glycine etc.? Only then can you be supplementing your diet with 1g and beyond of calcium. And if that calcium isn't properly chelated with an amino (or other acid) it's being wasted.

However here's my attempt at a greater understanding.... we talk about freely circulating testosterone (and other androgens) as beneficial, but why not calcium in the same regards? The very reason that serum testosterone and calcium freely circulates is because it's ionized and holds zeta potential. That ionized calcium is bound by nothing and ready for action on demand.

Except testosterone cannot hold nearly the charge of calcium as the human bodies most prevalent alkaline mineral. And the greater percentage of ionized calcium in your body, the more charging capacity it contains, the more energy your body has beyond vital functions. So getting getting enough antioxidants to hold this charge is extremely vital too.

And let's forget hair loss for a second; the people who state that regulating calcium isn't a major factor in health have never examined the CT scans and rigid arteries and organs of the middle-aged and elderly.

For those gurus out there, it's so fucking easy to make a healthy person healthier and think you've accomplished something significant. Now try the same feat on somebody already in poor health and see how many of your best ideas are easily terminated. Been there and done it.

Xenon wrote:

Ketogenic diets are an extremely inefficient (and sometimes unhealthy way) to get into a state of ketogenesis. I think I posted this to you already, but look into intermittent fasting. It works because it is vital for the human experience where the risk/reward system (whether food, sex, shelter etc.) is in proper balance.

As far as prolactin.... we need to stop trying to lower or raise factors and instead try to regulate them. Another good way to regulate prolactin is with pituitary gland extract taken first thing in the morning on a completely empty stomach. Works for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, I did completely cut out calcium because I stopped drinking milk, whereas previously I drank milk in black tea everyday for years. Calcium also acts as an acid buffer, so during my ketodiet (mainly pork and chicken) my acid levels have obviously elevated far too high, which would probably explain my out of control inflammation, in addition to severe heartburn / acid indigestion. It's interesting, today (since returning back to carbohydrates, inc milk), that my scalp inflammation and acid indigestion has completely vanished.

Thanks for reminding me of the calcium / vit D connection, I just didn't expect things to get so bad, so fast. The acid indigestion was painful as hell, esp when I was in bed.

that's awesome. milk is definetly something not everyone can handle 100%.. hell yeah.

Columbo wrote:I was wondering if I needed more or less calcium so decided to get a few tests done; my calcium balance is out of whack (didn't surprise me; I got exostosis and salivary stones from just 1,000iu of vit D supplementation a day)

how do you suggest you go about that? the problem without adequate calcium is that you are going to have too much phosphorous. i agree with you though, it is a dangerous balancing act. however, egg shell calcium seems to be well tolerated. myself i haven't stopped shedding yet as i said and it is making me very nervous. i've even had pressure on the sides of my head and feeling the calcification from taking too much K2. i don't get htat anymore any my temp remains better, but yes.. it does cross my mind a lot. i really don't know what else to do though at this point.
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Xenon Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:26 am

Ketogenic diets are an extremely inefficient (and sometimes unhealthy way) to get into a state of ketogenesis. I think I posted this to you already, but look into intermittent fasting. It works because it is vital for the human experience where the risk/reward system (whether food, sex, shelter etc.) is in proper balance.

Cheers, man, I forgot that you mentioned this to me... so much info on the boards, I tend to become forgetful. I'm going to give IF a go, starting from tomorrow.
Xenon
Xenon

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 am

It is extremely important to realize that calcium deposits in soft tissues become worse when the diet is low in calcium. Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain are often afraid to eat foods rich in calcium. Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly. Such calcium deposits can also occur when vitamin E is undersupplied. After open-heart surgery, when both magnesium and vitamin E are drastically needed and could easily be given, the calcification of heart muscles often becomes so severe that it can cause death within a few days. Pages 171-172, Lets Eat Right to Keep Fit, Adelle Davis, Signet, 1970.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml
sanderson
sanderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down