Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Are there any stem cell treatments that doesn't require liposuction?
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyFri May 17, 2024 7:01 am by Atlas

» zombie cells
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:54 am by CausticSymmetry

» Sandalore - could it be a game changer?
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:45 pm by MikeGore

» *The first scientific evidence in 2021 that viruses do not exist*
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:18 am by CausticSymmetry

» China is at it again
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyTue May 07, 2024 4:07 am by CausticSymmetry

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyMon May 06, 2024 5:40 pm by el_llama

» pentadecanoic acid
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptySun May 05, 2024 10:56 am by CausticSymmetry

» Exosome Theory and Herpes
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» Road to recovery - my own log of everything I'm currently trying for HL
Your experience(s) with MSM EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:55 pm by JtheDreamer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Your experience(s) with MSM

+16
goten574
sdguy
blackjack
edony
youngbalder
Jocko59
Espio
HanginInthere
j87x
Metro
albe
sublime9
opeth88
ataman
Swimmy
The Natural
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your experience(s) with MSM Empty Your experience(s) with MSM

Post  The Natural Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 am

As most know here, I have had consistent success with my core regimen: virtually eliminating my dandruff, stabilizing my hair loss, and achieving some regrowth.

But now I am looking for the "knock out punch."

Who has taken Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), and been able to thicken up hairs that have regrown? Please share your experiences with this supplement.

TN

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Your experience(s) with MSM Empty Re: Your experience(s) with MSM

Post  Swimmy Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:53 am

Right now I am taking a spring valley brand of MSM. Just started a few days ago.. I heard you need to take 2000 mg a day to see hair benefits. I've been doing 3000 mg a day.Might start doing 4000mg.

I cant give you a full reports but I will give feedback in a month on it. From what I can tell. My hair does seems to feel thicker and stronger since only using it for 6 days now. Personally I think everyone should include MSM in their hair loss fight.

Swimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Swimmy wrote:Right now I am taking a spring valley brand of MSM. Just started a few days ago.. I heard you need to take 2000 mg a day to see hair benefits. I've been doing 3000 mg a day.Might start doing 4000mg.

I cant give you a full reports but I will give feedback in a month on it. From what I can tell. My hair does seems to feel thicker and stronger since only using it for 6 days now. Personally I think everyone should include MSM in their hair loss fight.

Yes Swimmy, and it is so cheap. Dirt cheap. I am in an excellent position to assess whether or not it works for me. It would great if this stuff could put me over the top Smile .

I tried it several years ago, and I couldn't tell if it did anything for me. At that time, I had not stabilized my hair loss though, so. In addition, I am not now considering MSM for that purpose. It will be for a thickening, if possible, of regrown hairs.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  Swimmy Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm

It is dirt cheap which is why I included it. Even the superior brands are only 10 dollars which I might get one of the more potent brands from Iherb. I don't know if it will regrow hairs or not? But strengthening the roots. Thicker hair. Faster regrowth is fine with me. Regrowth would be a nice bonus.

Swimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  ataman Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:26 am

I tried MSM a while ago when my then regimen seemed to be losing some effectiveness. I took it for about 4 months and had an odd side effect - I developed a quite noticable tremor in my hands (and sometimes arm), especially after the gym. This was pretty scary, went to the doc about it 2 or 3 times...then realised it had started exactly when I started MSM. I stopped MSM and it went away.

I'm afraid it did little or nothing for my hair. I was a very cheap brand so this may have had something to do with the side effects / lack of effect. I took 2g per day.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  opeth88 Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:47 am

the ecklonia cava (fibroboost) would be the knockout punch you want to achieve, right CS?????

opeth88

Back to top Go down

Post  Swimmy Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 am

ataman wrote:I tried MSM a while ago when my then regimen seemed to be losing some effectiveness. I took it for about 4 months and had an odd side effect - I developed a quite noticable tremor in my hands (and sometimes arm), especially after the gym. This was pretty scary, went to the doc about it 2 or 3 times...then realised it had started exactly when I started MSM. I stopped MSM and it went away.

I'm afraid it did little or nothing for my hair. I was a very cheap brand so this may have had something to do with the side effects / lack of effect. I took 2g per day.

Usually tremors after a work out are commons. Can be cause by dehydration in the muscles.

Swimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  ataman Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 am

Yes...but it was more than that. Much worse tremors after working out, and tremors when there shouldn't have been - at work etc.

ataman

Back to top Go down

Post  sublime9 Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:53 am

I take 4800mg a day for right now. It is honestly difficult to say if MSM is a knockout punch as I have been taking it for almost 3 years. It does make my hair and nails grow faster.

sublime9

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 am

sublime9 wrote:I take 4800mg a day for right now. It is honestly difficult to say if MSM is a knockout punch as I have been taking it for almost 3 years. It does make my hair and nails grow faster.

sublime,

There is a guy at Hairsite who states that he didn't see results until he upped his dosage to around 5000 mg., about the same amount that you are taking.

One of the questions that I have is whether MSM is better taken with food/or not. Another is what other supplements should/should not be taken with MSM.

TN

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  sublime9 Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:12 am

MSM should be taken in tandem with vitamin C.

I take it when I eat and I am unsure if it is better with or without food. I cleansed earlier last year, and will again later this year, with around 16000mg. I will be interested to see my results this year as my body is way healthier than last year. I will post if I notice any major growth or thickening with the increased dosage.

sublime9

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

sublime9 wrote:MSM should be taken in tandem with vitamin C.

I take it when I eat and I am unsure if it is better with or without food. I cleansed earlier last year, and will again later this year, with around 16000mg. I will be interested to see my results this year as my body is way healthier than last year. I will post if I notice any major growth or thickening with the increased dosage.

Yes, please do. And thanks for the vitamin C information.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 pm

A double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot trial, performed by Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., showed that 100% of the subjects on MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), a nutritional supplement that provides biologically active sulfur, showed increased hair growth compared to the group on placebo.

Only one subject on placebo showed an increase in hair length. In addition, 30% of the subjects on MSM showed improvement in hair brilliance, while none of the subjects on placebo showed such an improvement.

Cathleen London, M.D., a Boston-based family practitioner, said to have been prescribing MSM for my patients experiencing pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia, and they kept saying how great their hair and nails looked. It's good to see an efficacy study confirm that there are benefits in this area.

Based on the results, Dr. Lawrence concluded: Oral supplementation with MSM is a valuable addition to hair and nail growth. Hair and nail health was significantly improved in a short term of six weeks. If the trials were continued for eight to sixteen weeks, the results would have been even better for those on MSM. The hair trial involved a total of 21 patients ・5 women and 16 men. Data was collected by certified cosmetologists under the direction of Dr. Lawrence. The trial parameters included hair length, brilliance, and diameter of the individual hair shafts using industry standard measurement scales.

All subjects supplemented with MSM were duly impressed with the changes in the health and appearance of their hair, said Dr. Lawrence. The cosmetologists literally could differentiate which participants were on MSM by the appearance of the hair, alone, after six weeks.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  albe Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:01 pm

I've tried it. Didn't see a difference, so I dropped it.

albe

Back to top Go down

Post  Swimmy Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

If you are taking MSM. You have to take a high dosage to see a difference.

If you are already on a really good hair regimen its possible you won't see a difference using MSM since your hair would already be in good condition..

Swimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 pm

albe wrote:I've tried it. Didn't see a difference, so I dropped it.

albe, I tried it several years ago too. I took 1,000 mg. of MSM daily for about three months. Didn't do a thing for me.

Now I am taking 3 - 4000 mg., and will report the changes in the coming weeks, if any, that I experience. From everything that I have read so far, it seems that I had not been taking enough MSM to make a real difference. I am looking forward to seeing what happens now, that I have upped the dosage.

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  Metro Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:42 pm

I also use MSM (2000 mg or more a day in total )
From my experience in the past: it didnt grow hair...
(or any difference in hair structure , but i wasnt very disciplined in those days)

But it did give some relieve in my inflamed body (back muscles and cartilage problems in wrists)
So since one month i am at it again.
and it relaxed me somewhat.
I believe FWIW it is the Sulfur compound that helps me.
The funny thing is , that i thought this would be enough to fulfill al my sulfur needs.
But when i added glucosamine , this stuff also gave me an added relaxing sensation.

my body seems to be hooked on every mineral i can put into it. how annoying...
my strategy is to rule out all inflammation to reduce hairloss.

i am also on serrapeptase (suggested by CS)

Metro

Back to top Go down

Post  Metro Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:16 pm

actually 4000 mg (not 2000)

Metro

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:02 am

Metro wrote:actually 4000 mg (not 2000)

Thanks Metro, I appreciate your input. I am going to try out 3-4000 mg. a day for a month or so, and see what happens.

A mere thickening of some hairs would do just fine.

TN

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  The Natural Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 am

By the way people, for those of you taking curcumin, etc., experiencing constipation (and hard stools) as I was, MSM will help "to loosen you up." Laughing

The Natural

Back to top Go down

Post  j87x Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:00 pm

any updates? thinking about starting 5000mg to see if it will thicken some thins hairs.

j87x

Back to top Go down

Post  HanginInthere Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:29 am

MSM, when it does work
affectst the brilliance, shine and overall look of the hair
it is not however, noteably effective for regrowth

I think a Maxi Hair tablet along with chelated multi min, would have a good effect also

why not add horsetail

HanginInthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Espio Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:40 am

I started taking Dr. Rind's list of supplements for Adrenal fatigue recovery about 2 weeks ago and already notice my hair has thickened up a lot. I can pull my hair strait back and not see scalp anymore, amazing improvement! MSM was one of the things I started taking, 1500 a day. But it could have been many things in the package.

Espio

Back to top Go down

Your experience(s) with MSM Empty No offense...

Post  Jocko59 Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:20 am

But I find it somewhat difficult to believe that you would see improvement in hair thickness in two weeks regardless of any regime you are using. That's simply too short a period of time for the hair to be affected in any major way.

Jocko59

Back to top Go down

Post  youngbalder Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:08 am

Espio- What supplements do you take for adrenal fatigue? Is maca one of them?

youngbalder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum