Immortal Hair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Check Out Our Sponsors
Brought to you by
Hair Loss Forum
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Difficulty Swallowing During Sleep
Perfect Health Diet EmptyYesterday at 4:25 am by shaftless

» Is it possible that testosterone levels have to be kept within a strict range?
Perfect Health Diet EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 3:08 am by Jean-Guy

» I am trying the Growband
Perfect Health Diet EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 am by Jean-Guy

» Hydrocurc
Perfect Health Diet EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 am by Jean-Guy

» questions about HGH
Perfect Health Diet EmptyMon Mar 25, 2024 1:24 am by Dudard

» The Vital Role of NAD+ and Niacin in Longevity and Well-being
Perfect Health Diet EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 10:25 am by CausticSymmetry

» solar eclipse on april 8
Perfect Health Diet EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 1:53 am by shaftless

» Ways to increase adult stem cells
Perfect Health Diet EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 4:15 pm by Atlas

» How to increase FGF9
Perfect Health Diet EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 3:17 am by Atlas

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Perfect Health Diet

+8
bh2o
tonyj
Mawson06
CausticSymmetry
Balding_Accountant
tom_123
scottyc33
hadrion
12 posters

Go down

Perfect Health Diet Empty Perfect Health Diet

Post  hadrion Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 am

Hey guys,

So I've been doing a lot of research into diet for myself and I kept getting caught between trying the Perfect Health Diet & eating in a Ray Peat inspired fashion. It's funny because just as I was going through the deliberation process of what to do, the Jaminet's and the Peat followers have been having an enlightening friendly back and forth. What I see is both diets are very similar with the major difference being the avoidance of sugar in Perfect Health and the use of it, in the proper forms, in a Peat friendly diet.

Taking everything into account I decided to give Perfect Health Diet a go first and see where that takes me. What I've learned from asking question to the Jaminets and reading their answers is that a little sugar here and there in products and the sugar in fruit isn't going to kill you.

I can't do a low carb Paleo diet as I never feel right on that kind of eating plan and I end up gorging on nuts more than anything.

After 2 weeks on Perfect Health Diet I've seen some pretty impressive changes in my body. My skin is clearer and less red. I've lost the "bloat" I would get in my stomach after meals containing gluten. In fact, I get full quicker on less food but the sense of full isn't uncomfortable; it's just my body telling me to stop eating. I've lost some weight in mid section that has been my most stubborn area as well. My wife, who suffers from eczema, has had her condition lessened to the point that it's not an issue right now following the diet with me.

This leads me to a few things, chiefly, that gluten is not good for my wife & I. My energy levels are more consistent and there's less crashing during the day avoiding gluten. I've had no inflammation although I stopped my inflammation years ago following CS's advice and using the supps he recommends.

While I'm not dismissing Peat's philosophy of diet, so far I feel pretty great. I really think there's a middle ground between these 2 styles of eating that will work for people long term. That said, I'm going to stick to Pefect Health for a full month and chart my progress and then I might try to introduce some Peat ideas into the mix and see how the sugar from OJ and Ice Cream play with how I feel. I have a feeling that it's not going to be a problem adding in those down the road. I am following Peat's suggestion to eat a raw carrot and coconut oil daily,

What I would encourage any of you dealing with inflammation or who feel extremely bloated after a meal with wheat in it is to try to avoid gluten and see if your body feels different. I had gone gluten free before but all I did was replace wheat bread with gluten free breads and I paid no attention to the oils used to make the products. The Perfect Health style of eating with safe starches like potato, sweet potato and white rice makes following the diet easy and pleasurable. We even made Perfect Health ice cream which uses rice syrup in place of sugar and it was delicious and totally satisfied any lingering sweet tooth.

I'll report back as I get further down the road with this diet and if I modify it and add a little more Peat into it. So far, following the plan set out in the PHD has led to some nice results.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Perfect Health Diet Empty Re: Perfect Health Diet

Post  scottyc33 Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Hadrion - good stuff.

I have to agree. I've been more or less on the Perfect Health Diet for a few months now and I feel great. I notice a big difference avoiding gluten too.

Also, I've tried super low-carb diets in the past but they are not for me. I feel much, much better with moderate amounts of fruit, rice, etc.

Ecklonia Cava
Krill Oil
Decalcify
Rejuvaplex Topical

Other
Ubiquinol
ALCAR
Liv 52
Iodine
Ashwagandha

SUPERFOODS: Energy First and Sun Warrior Protein, Dessicated Liver, Concentrace, Colostrum, Brewers Yeast, Fermented Cod Liver & High Vitamin Butter Oil

scottyc33

Back to top Go down

Post  tom_123 Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:50 am

I just noticed that Perfect Health diet is against legumes. I eat them almost daily because of their low glychemic index. PH Diet says they are toxic.

can anyone shed some light on this?

Thx

tom_123

Back to top Go down

Post  Balding_Accountant Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:09 am

Interesting stuff. I personally go with some Omega 3 fish oils but I am not sure if it is working.

Balding_Accountant

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 am

scottyc33 wrote:Hadrion - good stuff.

I have to agree. I've been more or less on the Perfect Health Diet for a few months now and I feel great. I notice a big difference avoiding gluten too.

Also, I've tried super low-carb diets in the past but they are not for me. I feel much, much better with moderate amounts of fruit, rice, etc.

Scotty - it's funny how you & I are usually on the same page, lol. Great minds, as they say.

As for legumes, Perfect Health isn't the only diet against them. I've read a few other instances where legumes were causing gastric/bowel problems for people and avoiding them alleviated symptoms. I know I ate a ton of beans and peanuts and they were not particularly helping me in the past. The beans especially. I was eating them often with chicken and seasoning and even though I was watching caloric intake I still couldn't get the scale to move.

As for Fish oil, I'm still taking my Krill and won't stop it. That said, PHD wants you to eat 1 pound of salmon each week for the omega 3 benefits. That's easy since I like salmon. Basically, I have it for dinner 2 nights a week. Other nights I'm eating rib eye or some kind of red meat or seafood. I've been staying away from chicken and pork although you're allowed to have them on the diet.

It blows your mind that eating steak, a baked potato with butter and sour cream and spinach or veggies with butter on them is showing positive results in skin and overall feeling. I'm in no way saying this is right for everyone, but I think knocking out gluten and legumes is helping me. When I go to the bathroom now I've also noticed my poop doesn't smell as badly as it did since I changed the diet. I also have less body odor. It's bizarre.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 am

hadrion - Great thread this one. By shear luck, I've been eating this way even before I heard of the Perfect Health diet, and I can say that in my experience it has been beneficial to me as well.

If anyone wonders why legumes are not appropriate for everyone, have a look at this link below:

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:15 am

CS - I'm glad to hear you're on board with this style of eating coincidentally. I pretty much picked up on that over the years here in the forum. I think you've always been open about eating this way but if you have to touch gluten/sugar make sure you are covering those meals with your supplements. The Jaminet's just put in book form what I feel you and others had been preaching here for years. Only using coconut oil and butter for instance. When my wife read the book with me she laughed and said it's all the stuff you tell me after reading the forum, lol. I think the idea of safe starches is an important one.

Trying to find products that don't use corn, canola, soybean, safflower and sunflower oils is difficult so we end up making a lot of stuff ourselves. I've only found one brand of rice crackers that uses palm oil which the PHD approves of.

I'm starting to feel like the chelating and the avoidance of gluten/legumes/soy is an essential part of this. I haven't dropped dairy and really don't want to as I like cheese and the Perfect Health recipe for ice cream we made using rice syrup as the sweetener.

It's all good. I get up in the morning and have a scoop of coconut oil and a big coffee with real cream in it and stevia. That gets me well into lunch which is usually a big omlette cooked in coconut oil with some cheese and spinach in it and hash browns w/cut up peppers and onions in them. By dinner I'm just not as hungry. My late night snacking issue is no more. Have a steak with a potato and sour cream every night and then try to keep eating at night. It's almost impossible.

They have all the info for the diet on their website/blog but the book is only 9.99 if you have a Kindle. It's worth reading, but I think you can get everything you need off their website.

On a side note, many of their supplement recommendations in the book match what CS uses. They are big on K-2, iodine and selenium, D-3, etc. The only thing I think they need to revise is their fish oil recommendation since I think Krill is essential to all of our health. They just say not to take fish oil caps as they are often rancid but I think they ignoring Krill and lumping it in with your average fish oil caps.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawson06 Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Just wondering in regards to the avoidance of say sunflower oil. Does this mean not to cook anything using this type of oil or to avoid it all together.

I ask because I recently started eating oysters after it was recommended through the Ray Peat diet but have been buying a tinned version served in sunflower oil and think I may have got inflammation as a result.

I have been finding it hard to find any ideal snacks to take to work as I never have any prep time.

Mawson06

Back to top Go down

Post  hadrion Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 am

Mawson06 wrote:Just wondering in regards to the avoidance of say sunflower oil. Does this mean not to cook anything using this type of oil or to avoid it all together.

I ask because I recently started eating oysters after it was recommended through the Ray Peat diet but have been buying a tinned version served in sunflower oil and think I may have got inflammation as a result.

I have been finding it hard to find any ideal snacks to take to work as I never have any prep time.

Mawson06 - The Jaminets who wrote the Perfect Health Diet are pretty strong against using sunflower oil. Basically, their plan involves avoiding the oils that are high in Omega 6. They feel they are high in food toxins and cause people problems. If you follow their advice not only shouldn't you cook in sunflower oil, you should not buy and consume products that are prepared with them.

You're allowed to eat rice crackers on Perfect Health Diet which is awesome but it's a pain in the neck to find rice crackers that are not made with the oils they ban on the diet.

Oysters shouldn't be adding inflammation for you since they are supposedly loaded with zinc and zinc lowers inflammation so it could be the oil they are prepared in. I would try avoiding them and get fresh oysters and make them yourself and see if that helps?

It's all trial and error, but I found it interesting that one of the top things they tell you to avoid in Perfect Health Diet along with gluten are the high Omega 6 content oils.

Love to see CS weigh in on how he feels about the oils other than coconut/butter/olive/palm that are in our foods and if he feels they are inflammation promoting. Avoiding them could turn out to be a key for some of us with our hair loss if it's accurate.

hadrion

Back to top Go down

Perfect Health Diet Empty Consumption of fried foods and risk of coronary heart disease: Spanish cohort of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study

Post  tonyj Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:20 am

Interesting study done in Europe.

Consumption of fried foods and risk of coronary heart disease: Spanish cohort of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study

Objective To assess the association between consumption of fried foods and risk of coronary heart disease.

Conclusions

In a Mediterranean country where olive and sunflower oils are the most commonly used fats for frying, and where large amounts of fried foods are consumed both at and away from home, no association was observed between fried food consumption and the risk of coronary heart disease or death.

Our results are directly applicable only to Mediterranean countries with frying methods similar to those in Spain. Firstly, oil (mainly olive and sunflower) rather than solid fat is used for frying in Spain. It is well established that olive oil is less prone to oxidation than other edible oils or fats.40 41 Secondly, consumption of fried foods in Spain is not a proxy for fast food intake. Fast foods are generally prepared by deep frying with oils used several times, and are consumed mostly away from home. In Spain, fried foods are consumed both at and away from home, and both deep frying and pan frying are used. Moreover, we can assume that oil is not reused many times for foods consumed at home; however, the cardiovascular effects of food fried with overly reused oils merit further research. Finally, consumption of fried snacks high in salt is fairly low in Spain, whereas in other countries such as the United States they provide an important percentage of energy intake.42
tonyj
tonyj

Back to top Go down

Post  bh2o Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:22 am

Nice thread. I haven't read all of the posts, but I'll try later when I have more time. I just wanted say that, I have been on a Peat inspired diet for a while and feel pretty good, just need more fine tuning and more discilne on my part.

I eat a pint of Haagen Dazs almost every day, regular flavors i.e. chocolate, strawberry, etc. Love the stuff. And it has served as an entire meal for me in a pinch.
bh2o
bh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Essentially the problem with plant oils is that they are heated, stored, processed in caustic baths and/or corrosive acids, and almost always contains trans-isomers. They inhibit oxygen transfer in the cell membrane.

Plant fats that are consumed in a purely raw state are healthy. Omega-6 fatty acids are okay in the natural state and have anti-inflammatory properties. However, almost everyone cooks them or uses the already processed PUFAs.

Saturated fats are far more stable under heat and are less subject to lipid peroxides and other inflammation promoters.

Mol Biotechnol. 2007 Sep;37(1):5-12.
The important role of lipid peroxidation processes in aging and age dependent diseases.
Spiteller G.

Organic Chemical Department, University of Bayreuth, Universitätsstrasse 30, Bayreuth, Germany. Gerhard.Spiteller@uni-bayreuth.de

Any change in the cell membrane structure activates lipoxygenases (LOX). LOX transform polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) to lipidhydroperoxide molecules (LOOHs). When cells are severely wounded, this physiological process switches to a non-enzymatic lipid peroxidation (LPO) process producing LOO* radicals. These oxidize nearly all-biological molecules such as lipids, sugars, and proteins. The LOO* induced degradations proceed by transfer of the radicals from cell to cell like an infection. The chemical reactions induced by LO* and LOO* radicals seem to be responsible for aging and induction of age dependent diseases.Alternatively, LO* and LOO* radicals are generated by frying of fats and involve cholesterol-PUFA esters and thus induce atherogenesis. Plants and algae are exposed to LOO* radicals generating radiation. In order to remove LOO* radicals, plants and algae transform PUFAs to furan fatty acids, which are incorporated after consumption of vegetables into mammalian tissues where they act as excellent scavengers of LOO* and LO* radicals.

Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 Nov;49(11):999-1013.
The relation of lipid peroxidation processes with atherogenesis: a new theory on atherogenesis.
Spiteller G.

Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany. gerhard.spiteller@uni-bayreuth.de

The extremely high sensitivity of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) to oxygen is apparently used by nature to induce stepwise appropriate cell responses. It is hypothesized that any alteration in the cell membrane structure induces influx of Ca2+ ions. Ca2+ ions are required to activate degrading enzymes, such as phospholipases and lipoxygenases (LOX) that transform PUFAs bound to membrane phospholipids to lipidhydroperoxides (LOOHs). Enzymatic reduction products of LOOHs seem to serve as ligands of proteins, which induce gene activation to initiate a physiological response. Increasing external impact on cells is connected with deactivation of LOX, liberation of the iron ion in its active center followed by cleavage of LOOH molecules to LO * radicals. LO * radicals induce a second set of responses leading to generation of unsaturated aldehydic phospholipids and unsaturated epoxyhydroxy acids that contribute to induction of apoptosis. Finally peroxyl radicals are generated by attack of LO * radicals on phospholipids. The latter attack nearly all types of cell constituents: Amino- and hydroxyl groups are oxidized to carbonyl functions, sugars and proteins are cleaved, molecules containing double bonds such as unsaturated fatty acids or cholesterol suffer epoxidation. LOOH molecules and iron ions at the cell wall of an injured cell are in tight contact with phospholipids of neighboring cells and transfer to these reactive radicals. Thus, the damaging processes proceed and cause finally necrosis except the chain reaction is stopped by scavengers, such as glutathione. Consequently, PUFAs incorporated into phospholipids of the cell wall are apparently equally important for the fate of a single organism as the DNA in the nucleus for conservation of the species. This review intends to demonstrate the connection of cell alteration reactions with induction of lipid peroxidation (LPO) processes and their relation to inflammatory diseases, especially atherosclerosis and a possible involvement of food. Previously it was deduced that food rich in cholesterol and saturated fatty acids is atherogenic, while food rich in n-3 PUFAs was recognized to be protective against vascular diseases. These deductions are in contradiction to the fact that saturated fatty acids withstand oxidation while n-3 PUFAs are subjected to LPO like all other PUFAs. Considering the influence of minor food constituents a new theory about atherogenesis and the influence of n-3 PUFAs is represented that might resolve the contradictory results of feeding experiments and chemical experiences. Cholesterol-PUFA esters are minor constituents of mammalian derived food, but main components of low density lipoprotein (LDL). The PUFA part of these esters occasionally suffers oxidation by heating or storage of mammalian derived food. There are indications that these oxidized cholesterol esters are directly incorporated into lipoproteins and transferred via the LDL into endothelial cells where they induce damage and start the sequence of events outlined above. The deduction that consumption of n-3 PUFAs protects against vascular diseases is based on the observation that people living on a fish diet have a low incidence to be affected by vascular diseases. Fish are rich in n-3 PUFAs; thus, it was deduced that the protective properties of a fish diet are due to n-3 PUFAs. Fish, fish oils, and vegetables contain besides n-3 PUFAs as minor constituents furan fatty acids (F-acids). These are radical scavengers and are incorporated after consumption of these nutrients into human phospholipids, leading to the assumption that not n-3 PUFAs, but F-acids are responsible for the beneficial efficiency of a fish diet.

Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2011 Oct;31(184):239-43.
[Spuriously healthy plant fats].
[Article in Polish]
Cichosz G, Czeczot H.

Uniwersytet Warmińsko-Mazurski w Olsztynie, Katedra Mleczarstwa i Zarzadzania Jakościa, Wydział Nauki o Zywności. grazyna.cichosz@uwm.edu.pl

Since long plant fats are considered by nutritionists, dieticians and doctors, as main source of essential unsaturated fatty acids) n-6 and n-3 in human diet. On the market there is plenty of oils that can be consumed directly or used to frying. Last four decades consumption of oils increased several times due to stimulated by advertisement popularization of their pro-health activity. Plant oils supply mostly multi unsaturated fatty acids n-6 excess of which disadvantageously influence human health. Determinations of changes of oxidative stability of plant fats (during processing and storage) proved that consumption of oxidation products of fatty acids and sterols may be a reason of various diseases. Both epidemiologic and clinic studies indicated that if plant fats (both oils except this from olives and margarines) have possessed pro-health properties, their several times increased consumption would liquidate the problem of arteriosclerosis and its clinical complications (heart attack, stroke). For the present, every second death in the industrial countries results from the cardiovascular disease. Morbidity of cancer is also increasing and of neurological and neurodegenerative diseases is growing up vigorously.

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/health-consultation
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Amaranthaceae Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:53 pm

I think it depends on what type of legume .. I eat alot of green and red lentils and they are probably safe since all lechtins are broken down by boiling for 20 mins. Kidney beans or the larger type legumes I stay clear of. Chickpea is ok for me to eat but need to boil and long time (1+ hour). What about oats, I think they may be related to a legume family. If oats are a true grain IMHO its the best one around.

tom_123 wrote:I just noticed that Perfect Health diet is against legumes. I eat them almost daily because of their low glychemic index. PH Diet says they are toxic.

can anyone shed some light on this?

Thx

Amaranthaceae

Back to top Go down

Post  Delphine Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm eating closer to the PHD myself, though I haven't read the book and I've only checked out their site once. I was actually adapting the diet recommendations at curetoothdecay.org, based on the findings of Weston Price. In that diet it's important to include a lot of healthy saturated fats and to reduce or eliminate sugar, grains and legumes.

I'm not following it strictly, which is why I said I'm adapting their recommendations. I'm a bit skeptical of their assertion that fruit is bad for teeth, though I do think we need to consume it in moderation, and it's probably best to dilute fruit juice. (I absolutely can't get on board with Ray Peat's ideas about sugar consumption. )

Anyways, I feel great eating this way and it's certainly tasty and satisfying! Very Happy
Delphine
Delphine

Back to top Go down

Post  Dante1 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 pm

hi guys,
thanks for sharing your diet experience.i really like all post.it is great information about perfect diet for me .

Dante1

http://www.mynetpharma.com/buy-generic-viagra.asp

Back to top Go down

Perfect Health Diet Empty Benefits of healthy diet for men

Post  rwilson14 Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Healthy diet is very important to maintain healthy life-style and good health. Men should should follow a healthy habits as it may affect their love life as erectile dysfunction is one of the most common men face today due to unhealthy habits and life-style. Though there are various medication available online like generic levitra, generic viagra or kamagra to overcome the problem but these are short terms ways to cure.

rwilson14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down