Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Malabsorption Syndrome protocol

Go down

Malabsorption Syndrome protocol Empty Malabsorption Syndrome protocol

Post  Grateful on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:09 am

Hi there IH. Was wondering if you could suggest a protocol for a friend who has malabsorption syndrome. Although he follows a very good diet, he feels that he is not absorbing the nutrients he takes in from his food. He also suffers the typical symptoms of this condition like bloating after he eats, stomach aches, gas etc. His hair is also very dry and frizzy and he started graying in his early twenties. Like me, he also has similar hair loss problems which I have suggested your protocol. At the moment though, he is more concerned with his malabsorption syndrome. Could you please suggest supplements, treatments and whatever else he could use to eradicate this problem. I am sure a lot of people suffer from this and I suspect it would have quite a detrimental effect on ones hair. Thanks in advance.

Grateful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Malabsorption Syndrome protocol Empty Re: Malabsorption Syndrome protocol

Post  Misirlou on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:38 am

IH: Could intestinal lavage be helpful in cases like these?

The absorption of some supplements can be enhanced with certain additions. I hope nid or cs can elaborate this. Vitamin C seems to increase uptake of a lot of things (MSM, Iron..)..

Other eatable things can inhibit absorption.

Misirlou

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:15 am

Grateful - The first step is to rule out an allergy to foods, such as wheat/gluten.

HSOs or homeostatic soil organisms are important to try. These can heal gut issues and improve assimilation (essential). Link here: http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=3161&at=0

There's a product used for this purpose for malabsorption called, SeaCure. It's predigested protein obtained from fish. A side effect may include hair growth, so that can't be too bad. This is another essential item.

Here's a link for it:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4950&at=0

Another factor is to rule out hypohydrocholria, which is little stomach acid or Achlorhydria, which is no stomach acid.
Either one of these could cause bloating and very poor digestion.

If he were to be given either an amino acid panel to see how well he absorbs protein, or better, have a heidelberg capsule test. If either of these are positive for low or no acid, then taking Betaine HCL tablets would be important. He can also do it without the tests.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

View user profile http://www.immortalhair.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:16 am

Misirlou - For iron and other things yes, but for malabsorption syndrome, vitamin C will fall short.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joejoebaggins on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:59 am

B6 deficiency can also cause decreased stomach acid.
Joejoebaggins
Joejoebaggins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sublime9 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:26 am

Grateful - Here's my 2 cents, simply because he sounds a lot like I used to.

One of the best things is Spirulina as that is the easiest digestible protein your body can consume. I have also read that high concentrates of blended greens help to bring the body under normal working conditions. I have implemented both of these things as well as proper food combining. What ended up working for me was a live food diet. I know it might seem a bit extreme, but it is honestly the only thing that does not cause those same problems that your friend suffers from for me.

I have been unable to do anything with the gray as of yet, but at this point I am just happy to have it all there.

PM me if you want to talk further about the diet if your friend wants to give it a try.

sublime9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grateful on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks IH and others for your advice. Will pass this info onto my friend - may even take it up myself.
As for the Betaine HCL, I heard that you can't take this for a long period - is this true? Also how does Dr O'Hira's probiotics compare with the soil organisms that you suggested IH?
Thanks again IH, your advice is always much appreciated, and you're definitely my first port of call when I have a health query. By the way, are you using the marine phytoplankton we disccussed a while back/
Sublime9, thanks for your input as well. Perhaps you could post your diet on the forum for all of us to peruse. That would be great.

Grateful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CausticSymmetry on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:39 am

Grateful - No problem, well I gave Umac-Core, Marine Phytoplankton a spin for a few months, and it seems that I'm a bad test subject, because I'm literally covered in every nutritional angle possible. That said, I would not expect to notice any benefits and I didn't, but based on what others have said, it seems it's one of those super foods, like chlorella, spirulina, but maybe even better. I recall there was on testimony somewhere of something growing hair from it.

Betaine HCL can be taken indefinitely. If stomach acid production exists to some degree, then taking the product after a protein portion will give the body a chance to produce it's own acid, and then followed with the Betaine HCL will make up for any shortage. Amino acids like Glycine increase stomach acid production, and that would normally be another option, however in the case of malabsorption, not enough glycine maybe absorbed. A shortage of iodine can also inhibit stomach acid production.

For malabsorption, HSOs or homeostatic soil organisms are standard protocol. Probably one of the best examples is Jordan Rubin, who started his own product line Garden of Life, who first started marketing HSO's. He was drastically underweight, emaciated and this stuff brought him back up to normal.

Dr. Ohhira's is better for the rest of us, especially from a hair loss point of view.
CausticSymmetry
CausticSymmetry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grateful on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks again IH. Will pass this on. You're definitely a wealth of information.

Grateful

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down